Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: Why Matterport sucks

Post by Jamesrye »

NOVAMECH wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:14 pm Anything like this should be avoided like the PLAGUE - Same with AUTODESK products. I wanted to move over there. However, all products are now subscription based. SO - your business hits a CASH FLOW issue or you stop trading for a while, downsize. HOW do you access YEAR's and YEARS of data. I have been in business for 18 years. Ex clients (they are never ex) still call me up - asking for stuff from 10 or more years ago. DO NOT BUY THESE PRODUCTS - WHAT EVER THE CARROT THEY OFFER YOU IS. YOU WILL BECOME THERE - slave. For eternity. They will milk you like a COW. They longer you are in this system the larger the PRICE you will pay for - walking away. DON'T GO THERE.
I quite like the subscription based approach. We just hire the software when we need it. We can still use the DWG TruView to open drawings and convert them to an older format - which we spent 1000's on back in the day.
canon_horizons
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Canon Manley
Company Details: Horizons Workshop LLC
Company Position Title: Founding Principal
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by canon_horizons »

Attreyu wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:38 pm They suck anyway. Their "scanner" is just a 360 camera and the 3D model is compiled using photogrammetry on the cloud.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the 3D model is looking nearly as good as they'd want you to believe by looking at those 360 panoramas, because even they are using those photos to texture the 3D model, it looks incredibily bad, full of holes and mismatched textures.

So if you only need a nice 360 panorama, you can do it with your smartphone, because it's exactly what the Matterport camera is doing anyway.

And for that shitty 3D model you could use Photoscan to compile the 3D model from the panoramas, with the same results.

So do yourself a favour and if you are after nice 3D models with nice texures on top, the ONLY solution is to buy/rent a 3D scanner from Faro, Leica and the rest of the guys.

The rest of these companies are just pulling off marketing stunts.
This has already been addressed, but Matterport uses IR not photogrammetry. This comes in handy in dark places and spaces. It takes a 360 panorama picture and overlays the color and texture data ONTO the point cloud.

It also should be noted that the IR scans are highly superior to photogrammetry because it is using LiDAR procedures to determine relative distances, etc.

All that being said, as a Matterport user and a sole proprietor, I'm super bummed that Matterport uses IR and not Laser. Stitching, cloud storage, subscription issues, and warps due to scan paths aside, the BIGGEST downfall to Matterport is that I can only get outside scans and interior spaces with large glazed opening during sunset or sunrise, when the sun is below the horizon. The UV scatters the IR from the scanner totally disrupting the scan. When you do get outside scans to work, they are spotty at best.

Huge bummer for me. I guess I have to save up 18K for a Faro.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

cbaze wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm From their EULA at https://matterport.com/legal/terms-of-service-2/ (underlining by me):
PROPRIETARY RIGHTS OF MATTERPORT

6.1. Reservation of Rights. All rights in the Matterport 3D Vision System not expressly granted to You are reserved by Matterport, including, but not limited to, the unrestricted right to grant access to the Matterport Cloud to any third party in any form anywhere. Nothing in this Agreement is intended by the parties to constitute a sale of the software underlying the Matterport 3D Vision System or the Documentation, or any derivatives thereof. Matterport reserves the right to modify the Matterport 3D Vision System at any time in Matterport’s discretion.

6.2. Title. The Matterport 3D Vision System (including the underlying software) and the Documentation are the valuable proprietary information and property of Matterport and its licensors. All right, title, and interest (including all copyright, patent rights, and other intellectual property rights) in and to the Matterport 3D Vision System and the Documentation, and all derivatives thereof, shall remain with Matterport and its licensors. You acknowledge the ownership and intellectual property rights of Matterport and will not take any action to jeopardize, limit or interfere in any manner with such ownership or other rights.
In summary, when you buy a Matterport scanner, you basically become their employee! Data cannot be processed outside of their cloud services, and as soon as you upload anything, it becomes theirs. If you discontinue your paid subscription (which is the only way to access all of your data since you cannot download the spherical images), Matterport keeps your data anyway and continues to use it for their benefit.
REFERENCE:
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/new ... -ebay.html

"The company said it has a library of 1.4 million three-dimensional models that have been viewed at least 600 million times."

The question that needs to be answered, who owns this data? FREE DATA COLLECTION AFTER YOU PAY THEM FOR THE SENSOR?

12-31-2018 08-34-49 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

cbaze wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm From their EULA at https://matterport.com/legal/terms-of-service-2/ (underlining by me):
PROPRIETARY RIGHTS OF MATTERPORT

6.1. Reservation of Rights. All rights in the Matterport 3D Vision System not expressly granted to You are reserved by Matterport, including, but not limited to, the unrestricted right to grant access to the Matterport Cloud to any third party in any form anywhere. Nothing in this Agreement is intended by the parties to constitute a sale of the software underlying the Matterport 3D Vision System or the Documentation, or any derivatives thereof. Matterport reserves the right to modify the Matterport 3D Vision System at any time in Matterport’s discretion.

6.2. Title. The Matterport 3D Vision System (including the underlying software) and the Documentation are the valuable proprietary information and property of Matterport and its licensors. All right, title, and interest (including all copyright, patent rights, and other intellectual property rights) in and to the Matterport 3D Vision System and the Documentation, and all derivatives thereof, shall remain with Matterport and its licensors. You acknowledge the ownership and intellectual property rights of Matterport and will not take any action to jeopardize, limit or interfere in any manner with such ownership or other rights.
In summary, when you buy a Matterport scanner, you basically become their employee! Data cannot be processed outside of their cloud services, and as soon as you upload anything, it becomes theirs. If you discontinue your paid subscription (which is the only way to access all of your data since you cannot download the spherical images), Matterport keeps your data anyway and continues to use it for their benefit.

Yeah that does suck. A silver lining is using the BLK360 you retain all the scans on the device so you have their visual cloud and all the RAW scans and images to offload to your desktop.
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

ClarkCoSheriff wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:30 pm It's really unfortunate that the user is not the owner of the data and cannot process it themselves. Matterport presented last year at IAFSM and I think they have cool product. I could see some great uses for it, such as "scanning" schools or other public places, creating preplans for law enforcement who are responding to an active shooter situation. However, you are right in that it really doesn't replace scanning and the fact that we could have sensitive law enforcement data in the hands of a third party is basically impossible to accept. Maybe something will change in the future.
You would never want the DATA they provide anyway. The DATA lives on the BLK360 and you can simply offload to a good software solutions such as Register360 and align yourself.

I would never trust someone else to be my QC department.

Return to “General Chat”