I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: S. B. Sayin
Company Details: Solvotek Engineering
Company Position Title: Director and Chief Engineer

700 MPixel Panoramic Image???

Post by SolvoTek-TR »

Hi,

I recently had a discussion with a Leica rep and he told me P40 produces 700 MegaPixel. However I don't see such detail color information in the data. Can someone explain this number? How can you see this in the data?

Thanks

Bora
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: 700 MPixel Panoramic Image???

Post by TommyMaddox »

Probably meant 70 MP
SolvoTek-TR
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: S. B. Sayin
Company Details: Solvotek Engineering
Company Position Title: Director and Chief Engineer

Post by SolvoTek-TR »

Tommy,

I initially thought the same thing but this information is also in Leica's P30/40 official brochure:

P40.PNG
I appreciate if someone from Leica can give us some details about this.

Bora
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Rikore »

I believe that the 700 megapixels are for all the images combined into the 360 panoramic. Each image is 4 megapixels.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

More information is available in the White Paper by Greg Walsh

Leica ScanStation P-Series HDR white paper
http://leica-geosystems.com/products/la ... n-p40--p30

http://leica-geosystems.com/-/media/fil ... ashx?la=en
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Attreyu
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Dragos Ioan Coste
Company Details: 3Deva
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by Attreyu »

Rikore wrote:I believe that the 700 megapixels are for all the images combined into the 360 panoramic. Each image is 4 megapixels.
That's correct.

All 360 cameras manufacturers use the same marketing trick - some are boosting that they have 4K 360 - when in fact you have 4K equirectangulars made of dozens of pictures and the overall quality is lousy, obviously.

Even with a HDR camera, don't believe for a second that you'll end up with some beautiful, rich, full of detail colored scans.
www.3deva.com - Digitalisation, Pointcloud to Mesh conversions, Virtual Reality
silviaks90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Kyle Pickering
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Co-Founder

Post by silviaks90 »

Attreyu wrote:
Rikore wrote:I believe that the 700 megapixels are for all the images combined into the 360 panoramic. Each image is 4 megapixels.
Even with a HDR camera, don't believe for a second that you'll end up with some beautiful, rich, full of detail colored scans.
The LizardQ system does actual produce pretty spectacular 500MP panoramic images, we have had a demo in person. The detail was very very impressive on the processed images. You could pick out small individual granules in an aggregate floor and fine details in the adjacent building through the windows. However nothing that relates to scanning unfortunately.

I have seen some pretty full and rich colored scans from Z+F, Riegl and our Faro even surprises us from time to time. Leica does not produce good quality imagery, atleast not from our testing.
Kyle Pickering
Co-Founder and Designer, ONSITE3D
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

For those folks having a difficult time reading all 10 pages of Greg Walsh's great paper on what he and Leica have done, I have included two parts of it that should answer the question.
5-5-2017 12-49-34 PM.jpg
5-5-2017 12-48-40 PM.jpg
The math 260 images X 4Mp each = 1,040 Mp, with some overlap maybe 700 Mp

For HDR cameras: We have a Spheron VR (Germany) giving 32bits each in RGB (total 96 bits) and the Seitz Roundshot D3 (Switzerland) which are line scan cameras. The Seitz with 80mm lens will generate a 360 degree panorama (500Mp) in 3 to 5 seconds, depending on lighting. With both cameras, since they are line scanning, it will be difficult (almost impossible) to detect stitching match line. The Spheron, actually does a 400 degree image, and then does the match within the 40 degree overlap to get the best match.

The two cameras that we have will definitely capture great HDR images, including the two Z+F 5010X that we have. We are still trying with our Riegl VZ400i.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

silviaks90 wrote:
Attreyu wrote:
The LizardQ .
I had not heard of this one before but anything that allows you to put a decent full frame dslr on will have excellent results! I wonder if it will be able to take the new 50mp Canon 5Ds or r range? But not sure how well it would integrate on to a scan?

I am not convinced by the colour / imagery on the Leica P40 - its decent enough for on board but the time it takes you would hope for slightly better. And 270 photos your asking for trouble with a change of light etc when out side and there is no iso control.

Anyone attempted or found a solution that you can pop a medium format camera on, think of the results (and file sizes) if you could use the new Phase One XF 100mp!! I have had a shot of it and the detail is outstanding, massive leap from its previous P65! :D

Speaking or mega high res images, this ones impressive : http://www.in2white.com/

Return to “General Chat”