To chat about anything else.
smacl
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Does good gaming PC = good scanning PC?

Post by smacl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 am

Oatfedgoat wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:18 pm
On an even more geeky note, we recently delidded a CPU for the first time as our Intel i7 8086k has always run very hot. A daunting thing to do which in reality is actually very easy.
For those that don't know, delidding is when you take the CPU apart and replace the crappy thermal paste with liquid metal in order to reduce the temperature it operates at.
I've done a lot of tests on temps under load pre and post delidding and found it's reduced temps by 20-30C - much cheaper than water cooling!
This has allowed us to overclock it from it's stock 4.0ghz as high as 5.3ghz for testing and runs stable at 5.2ghz on all cores now at 38C idle.
4ghz to 5.2ghz is pretty impressive, have you tested stability with all cores active over a few hours? From what I've read the AMD chips don't see much advantage from OCing as they are constantly tweaking performance with load internally. I've seen a couple of clips on delidding and see you can get specific tools for it but wouldn't be that tempted other than on an old PC for fun.

From the developer point of view I reckon the big long term gains are shifting single threaded code to multi-threaded and GPU compute, hunting down performance jumps of x8, x16 or more for CPU and greater still for GPU where applicable. Depends very much on the software you're using where IPC gains give you consistent improvement across all software, typically in the 10% - 40% range.

Return to “General Chat”