V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Color, Greyscale, and Rainbows in Imaging

Post by Scott » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Links to a pair of articles I've run across concerning color vs. greyscale in scientific imaging (reality capture, too!):
https://mycarta.wordpress.com/2012/05/1 ... nt-page-1/
THE RAINBOW IS DEAD…LONG LIVE THE RAINBOW! – PERCEPTUAL PALETTES, PART 1 (second image below)
" I wanted to understand a bit more the reason why is it so, and answer to the question: ‘is there anything we can do about it?’ Today’s post will focus on that. So, why does the rainbow looks and feels unpleasant and unnatural? Here’s the first clue. I converted the three panels above to intensity and then mapped them all to grayscale (the same result would be achieved in Photoshop or other software with a conversion to grayscale). The result is below: it tells me that it is the intensity information in the rainbow sequence of hues that is “not right”.

And yet the rainbow color palette is the most commonly used of all, across all scientific disciplines. Borland and Taylor in [4] quantify how widespread the use of rainbow is and point out that it is the default in the greatest majority of software packages. They also note that the medical and biomedical communities have caught up with this idea more rapidly and that different palettes are used by practitioners in those disciplines. A great example can be found in [5], where the authors argue that using rainbow in artery visualization has a negative impact on task performance, and may even cause a higher rate of heart disease misdiagnosis! Some alternative palettes that are preferable to the rainbow are recommended in those papers. From reading what I reported so far, and from several other papers and notes on the subject, I am convinced that the rainbow is not right. Then I asked myself: can I do anything to demonstrate it further, perhaps quantify it? I think I can answer this question, and will do it in the next section."

https://mycarta.wordpress.com/2012/05/2 ... s-outline/ -Link to entire series

And this one:

Check Out These Awesome New 3D, Full-Color X-Rays (first image below)
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180969626/
The x-ray was first discovered by William Roentgen in 1895, and very soon after doctors began using the technique to find bullets and diagnose broken bones. Though over the next century much about medicine has changed, the black and white images of teeth and tumors have remained more or less the same. But now, the first test of a new full color, 3D x-ray machine has been conducted on a human, and the results are revolutionary and freaky at the same time...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Chat”