I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kenneth
Company Details: USGS
Company Position Title: geophysicist
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Ken from Los Angeles

Post by hudnutken »

I study active faults and earthquake surface fault ruptures, mostly (in the past) using airborne lidar, but sometimes with ground-based MLS or TLS. I'm looking into mobile units that are sometimes called hand-scanners (e.g., pistol-grip hand held, with electronics in a separate backpack or belt pack) or fully self-contained backpack units. I've received lots of great info from manufacturers already, and am looking on the forum for comparisons of products and for user commentary based on their own experience. My 'use case' is entirely outdoors, typically hot weather (up to ~120 degrees F and ~50 degrees C) in a dusty, very arid 'low desert' environment with knee to waist-high vegetation. While walking along the fault line, I want to make very well geo-referenced, high-resolution >100 points per square meter (and 1 to 5 centimeter or so DEM's and orthoimages) along faults, typically a 100 meter-wide strip map extending many, many miles. I wish to operate the gear myself, and would prefer not to have to set up and leapfrog targets. Thanks for any suggestions you may have for me.

Return to “Introductions”