I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ivan Malek
Company Details: Ivan Malek-PIXELATEDVERTEX
Company Position Title: Ivan Malek-PIXELATEDVERTEX

Hi everyone

Post by ivanmalek » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi,

my name's Ivan and I'm a freelance architect working in Slovakia in the fields of digital 3d modeling, visualisation and architecture, mostly heritage buildings. And since this seems to be as good a thread as any to post general questions, I'll just start with one.
I use photogrammetry as my way of doing 3d scans, but lately, I've been getting more and more requests for quotes on documenting buildings, that would be at best difficult, but likely impossible to scan using photogrammetry, so I started looking into terrestrial laser scanners, since the prices seem to going down all the time.
Could maybe some of you more experienced users guide me in the right direction as to which product to choose? Since Slovakia is not a rich country and cultural heritage often seems to be just an afterthought, there is not much money in this sector and price is probably still going to be my primary concern, but with most companies and resellers only offering to send quotes on demand and do not list prices,so navigating this market seems quite difficult for a noob like myself. Also, from what I understand, there's a lot more cost to owning a Laser scanner, than just the initial price to buy it.
Currently, from what I've seen, the Faro Focus M70 seems to be my top pick.
Do any of you have any experience with this scanner? Is it a good choice and what are the costs of operating it? Or do you know of any other, similarly priced or cheaper, that might be worth looking at? (I know about the BLK360, but it just looks kind of toyish to me and seems to be pretty locked in in an Apple-Autodesk environment, which are two of the few companies, which I've spent my whole life trying to avoid)
Thank you veru much in advance.
Cheers,
Ivan

Tookie
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Iain Took
Company Details: WMP
Company Position Title: Dogsbody
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Tookie » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, there are lots of more knowledgeable people on here who will be able to help im sure.

You are probably correct about the BLK it's not much use for large surveys you don't have to use recap though you can use cyclone for registration. Getting the data off I'd a bit tedious though.

Have you considered second hand ? You might be able to find a better scanner in terms of range and accuracy than the M70 and still limit your investment.

stutosney
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: Vitruvius Ltd
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by stutosney » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Hi Ivan,

Welcome to the LSF, its a great source of knowledge and has helped me a lot over the years. I would avoid the BLK if you're planning on scanning whole buildings etc. Faro's are good and reasonable priced, as are the Trimble series of scanners. Personally, I feel Leica would be the best option, maybe look at a used P20 or even the RTC360, though you will still be spending a fair amount.
Good luck

danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: London Underground
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning Co-Ordinator

Post by danielgadowski » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Ivan my best advice for someone who is not a surveyor would be to find a local survey company that owns a scanner and team up with them.
That way you will make some money on the job, but will avoid the pitfalls of scanning - owning costs and actual proper use of it.
you are right in saying that the purchase price is just an initial investment. You need good PC, a ton of software and hardware maintenance plans in case things go wrong. And then there's knowledge, survey best practices including.
Good luck!

ivanmalek
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ivan Malek
Company Details: Ivan Malek-PIXELATEDVERTEX
Company Position Title: Ivan Malek-PIXELATEDVERTEX

Post by ivanmalek » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. Second hand seems like a reasonable way to go.
I do have experience working with photogrammetry, so I'd expect the raw data to be a point cloud similar to the one I get from Agisoft Photoscan. And I'm confident I'd be able to work out potential pitfalls, that might come up.
Also thanks for the Trimble recommendation. What are the price ranges on their machines? That was one of the few companies, where I couldn't even find ballpark prices for their products.
What would be a good place to start looking for a used scanner?

Cheers,
Ivan

studioMT
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Matteo Tartaglini
Company Details: Studio Tecnico MT
Company Position Title: Senior Surveyor
Skype Name: geom.tartaglini

Post by studioMT » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi Ivan, welcome in this forum, for sure you are going to find all information yuo need....
I would like to suggest you, a Z+F TLS, for your survey field...exactly ZF data are excellent and with less noise.
Surely are a bit more expensive then other one, but you could find some 2nd hand machine...

Good luck!

MT

stutosney
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: Vitruvius Ltd
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by stutosney » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:29 pm

ivanmalek wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 pm
Thanks for the replies. Second hand seems like a reasonable way to go.
I do have experience working with photogrammetry, so I'd expect the raw data to be a point cloud similar to the one I get from Agisoft Photoscan. And I'm confident I'd be able to work out potential pitfalls, that might come up.
Also thanks for the Trimble recommendation. What are the price ranges on their machines? That was one of the few companies, where I couldn't even find ballpark prices for their products.
What would be a good place to start looking for a used scanner?

Cheers,
Ivan
Hi Ivan,

There are usually a few being sold on this forum if you find the relevant pages. Your best bet would be to do an internet search for your local Trimble/Leica/Z&F supplier, or even a company that hires out survey equipment will be able to help you out.
Like someone mentioned earlier, depending on what the purpose of the scan is for, it might be worth speaking with a local survey company, especially if the scan has to be controlled etc. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a message, happy to help where I can.
Stu

willytorres
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Hugo Wilfredo Torres Reyna
Company Details: RESTAURO SAC
Company Position Title: RESTAURO SAC

Post by willytorres » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 am

Hola Ivan, Yo soy arquitecto peruano y trabajo exclusivamente en Patrimonio Historico.
Uso un Faro Focus 3D 130x y como software JRC3D Reconstructor Heritage de Gexcel.
La inversion hardware+software ronda los 50,000 dólares pero están bien invertidos.

Saludos cordiales.

Willy
Willy Torres
CEO RESTAURO SAC

Return to “Introductions”