V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Design/Engineers from SE Michigan

Post by TommyMaddox »

dyslex wrote:
evanmcpheeNavVis wrote:NavVis makes a mobile LiDAR scanning trolley (http://www.navvis.com/products/m3-trolley/) that allows operators to capture point clouds and images in indoor spaces at up to 500,000 sq ft per day.
If you need ~13mm or better accuracy (such as for clash detection), you should use a tripod-based HDS scanner. However, if you need to scan larger spaces (and don’t need <13mm accuracy), you should take a look at mobile indoor mappers.
BMW, Siemens, and several others use our ‘IndoorViewer’ to help them manage and streamline their facilities and operations. Here’s a demo of our software in an industrial workshop in Munich: https://demo01.navvis.com/iv/#?image=46 ... &fov=100.0

My contact information is [email protected] if we can help.
Thank you for the great information, this trolley looks interesting. I'll have to do a little more research on it. What sort of advantages/disadvantages (besides accuracy) does this sort of scanner have against something like the FARO tripod scanners?
The cost was one of them. The unit itself is quite expensive. You could buy ~3 FARO scanners for the same price if I recall correctly. They do have a decent pricing payment model though.

I do have the spec sheet attached for the Navvis M3 Trolley available for those who want to see it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dyslex
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ralph Dylkowski
Company Details: Design-Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by dyslex »

So we finally had a scan done! It was a very cool experience watching the Faro X series at work. As part of our deliverables, we were given 2 packages:

[*]RCS - Auto Desk Recap Scan (single file)
[*]RCP - Auto Desk Recap Project file (project file along with a huge list of files for reference)

Now comes the hard part, learning how to work with the software!

So we use SolidWorks for modeling. Right now we have a mezzanine built within SolidWorks, then converted to an igs, and exported as a nwd file. Then we imported the file back into Navisworks. This is NOT conducive to our workflow! I did notice that there is the option to import Solidworks parts and Assemblies within Navisworks, but it says "Plugin not found", I believe this to be a glitch that is fixed in an updated version (SP1?) of Navisworks.

We are working with trial versions of Navisworks Manage 2017 and Recap 360 Pro 3.1

Any tips from some long time veterans?
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Hello Ralph,

We own a Faro S120 and X330. They are both great measuring tools. The decision to purchase these units was based upon the physical size of the units and the accuracy achievable in relation to the cost of the unit. The industry is moving quickly with data capture units coming down considerably in price. In the end it is still a measuring tool.

I like to work in Solidworks for projects that will be going directly from modeling to manufacturing. Working primarily in documenting existing historical buildings I use Solidworks to model individual pieces that are scheduled for replacement and fit them into the existing buildings as assemblies. There is no easy way that I know of to directly bring large point clouds into Solidworks for direct modelling, it would be fantastic to be proven wrong on this point. Geomagic and Rapidform both had good parametric interfaces to model from the point cloud into Solidworks. 3d Systems purchased both companies and have combined the software. Expensive solutions but good ones. One of the challenges is that most architects and clients will want the deliverable in Revit or AutoCAD. Exporting from Solidworks to ACIS .sat format will allow the geometry to be brought into Revit. I am hoping that it will become easier in the future to bring Solidworks models into Revit with parametric capabilities. You can take thin sections of the point cloud and export as dxf from Faro Scene and import these to Solidworks but it gets data heavy very quickly.

The software you choose to purchase and maintain will end up being a more costly decision than the hardware you purchase, especially if you are running multiple seats. Working backwards to get to your hardware needs might be a good approach. Determine what deliverables you need, what software you need to get there, then ask the hardware manufacturers to supply sample data from their equipment to experiment with.

You will find a lot of people with quite a bit of experience in a multitude of industries willing to share their experience here.

Warren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jrbrown
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: John Brown
Company Details: General Motors
Company Position Title: Lead Scanning and Modeling Engineer

Post by jrbrown »

Ralph, if you're close to Warren feel free to stop in and I'll show you some of our processes.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

-John
dyslex
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ralph Dylkowski
Company Details: Design-Engineering
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by dyslex »

WWilford wrote:Hello Ralph,

We own a Faro S120 and X330. They are both great measuring tools. The decision to purchase these units was based upon the physical size of the units and the accuracy achievable in relation to the cost of the unit. The industry is moving quickly with data capture units coming down considerably in price. In the end it is still a measuring tool.

I like to work in Solidworks for projects that will be going directly from modeling to manufacturing. Working primarily in documenting existing historical buildings I use Solidworks to model individual pieces that are scheduled for replacement and fit them into the existing buildings as assemblies.
Have you utilized the new(?) feature in Navisworks that allows you to import SolidWorks parts/assemblies directly into the project?

jrbrown wrote:Ralph, if you're close to Warren feel free to stop in and I'll show you some of our processes.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

-John
PM sent, thanks John!

Return to “Introductions”