Complete scanning workflow options -Field Scan to Cloud distribution

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.

End to End Scanning deliverable systems

Poll ended at Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:16 pm

Field Scanning only (RAW DATA PROVISION ONLY)-Processing done off site
No votes
Field scanning, Registration, Processing, Cleaning (optional) Export deliverable
22%
Field Scanning, Registration, Processing, Cleaning (optional), Export deliverable & Inhouse Network Collaboration
11%
Field Scanning, Registration, Processing, Cleaning (optional), Export deliverable & Inhouse Network Collaboration & Cloud Access Collaboration
28%
If you provide #1 above, do 50% or more of your deliverables include panoramic images
No votes
If you provide #2-4 above, do 50% or more of your deliverables include panoramic images
39%

Total votes: 18

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Complete scanning workflow options -Field Scan to Cloud distribution

Post by gsisman »

A poll and an explanation -
I'm being tasked with an extra this year as we try to move forward staying abreast with Hardware/Software updates.
If people could respond with a PM to me on the details, I need to know what other complete workflows that are out there. I assume this may only apply to a few who are larger firms or provide all portions of the scanning workflow.
First off I will say right now we are a Leica Shop with Hardware and Software for the Survey part....not that we would never change, but there would have to be major interoperable additions to new software or the cost would be enormous, but we are completely Autodesk inside for design, maintenance, and even 3D Models (Revit), BUT I'd like to know if there are other workflows out there (and the relative cost by PM please) that will accomplish the same thing.
We are ALWAYS exploring the latest technology and trying to get the best fit, but re-learning decades of software use doesn't work, unless they are similar (i.e. Carlson/ACAD etc). The key factor is the ability to Visualize and work off a pointcloud with an Autodesk compatible plug-in that allows both interaction with the pointclouds and effective exports and controls of sectional and portional views of a larger project clouds (limit boxes/views) without a lot of cutting, pasting and re-exporting. We do not have the technical man-power for that. We are basically running this system on the back-end with two very experienced CAD and Office/Field-ware Software users (Autodesk, Eaglepoint,Carlson, Wild/Leica,(one who also has former Network Administrator part-time coder in his experiential toolset)
We've only gotten into scanning in a big way in the last 4 years and don't have the same profit margin demands as a private company that is providing for outside clients (Local Government DOT), however our decision making process (like most bureaucracies) is much longer and drawn out. It could be there is industrial specific software suites that can be adapted to our use? (When we began we found some virtually unknown DOD tailored software-QT Modeler- that was on site sitting un-used for visualizing Lidar -alas no E57 structured import)
As we got into it though we realized that the transfer, import and conversion of data formats, data size and time were a huge factor (as most of you long-timers know from experience) .Right now we are using the following and I want to know if there are other complete systems out there that do basically the same thing....and oh yeah- and the cost (Annual and maintenance)

Field Scans -(our own BLK360) or other Leica Scans Static or Mobile RAW provided or processed from Outside consultants or other fom other manufacturers units in registered E57 bundle format or LAS format
Processing Software - import, process if need be, and export quality report and LGS (Compact portable) or Jetstream for multiple users inhouse
Publishing-Necessary Module in the Leica Ecosystem to get to Enterprise level distribution
Cloud-capable Enterprise Software- necessary for widespread distribution of single source Point clouds and Panoramic photos
Light weight viewer app or Web-Viewer - For general consumption and collaborative work among multiple stakeholders
Autodesk CAD System Connectors and plugins -Allowing direct access to Cloud-distributed point clouds AND Panorama images within the Autodesk environment
Last edited by gsisman on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Complete scanning workflow options -Field Scan to Cloud distribution

Post by gsisman »

gsisman wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 pm
BUT I'd like to know if there are other workflows out there (and the relative cost by PM please) that will accomplish the same thing.....we are ALWAYS exploring the latest technology and trying to get the best fit, but re-learning decades of software use doesn't work, unless the are similar (i.e. Carlson/ACAD etc). The key factor is the ability to Visualize and work off a pointcloud with an Autodesk compatible plug-in that allows both interaction with the pointclouds and effective exports and controls of sectional and portional views of a larger project clouds (limit boxes/views) without a lot of cutting, pasting and re-exporting.
Wow...crickets...you mean that there are literally no other plugins for Autodesk. Is everyone just going with RCP files then?
We haven't done that in a while and when we did the whole projection and meters/feet items got screwed up by Recap.
Does anyone know if Euclideon directly has markup capability in their viewer.....it is the endless detail functionality that Leica has licensed, as has I think the latest version of Unreal Engine.....
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

i think there are plugins for revit but they usually differ from lightweight viewers.

i don't know if point cab is available for revit or not. but in the forum you can find undet plugin as well, which is for data extraction from point clouds.

we have not used such things, usually because of the prices are very high for example you will need a bunch of cloud worx and an additional publisher pro license, truview enterprise license, and these are not cheap solutions. especially if you don't want an on premise storage. i would be interested to see how many people are using this complete solution.

for viewer i have to admit we are using a potree fork built by ourself. it has lot of capabilties, but needs some coding to get it works as you would like, but if you have motivation and some coding experience it could be a simple web based lightweight solution, with truslicer, setup cloud, clipping/measuring tools, panoramic images, and a long list of other things.

unfortinatelly ios devices not supported currently, but it works with everthing else until there is webgl 2.0 support. And with the new version which will use webgpu the performance will increase hugely and it is almost free, just a tiny cost for the converter and it creates a compressed down files, which can be accesed over aws/gcp as well.

just to answare the poll:

field: with our rtc360 and blk360
export e57 only
we deliver our viewer, and subsampled file(s) in required formats usually e57 or recap)
optional 3d modelling
optional 2d documentation based on 3d models.
Last edited by badam on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

One man shop here. Main instrument Riegl VZ400i and a older Trimble TX5.

Mostly i tend to deliver only pointclouds in or laz, ptx or recap format.
If only used by myself and no other i do not clean my pointclouds, otherwise i clean them so on the exterior nothing from the interior is visible and vice versa when the data is delivered to a client or an outsourcing company. I only clean mirroring and reflections. I don not clean unwanted data like tables, chairs, people,....

I scan mainly in b&w but in color when asked but mainly exterior.

I tend to deliver Ripano webviewer with projects.

I do 2d in house when it is feasable with other stuff going on, otherwise outsourcing.
I outsource all modelling.

If it is scanning with boundaries i do all myself as i'm licensed and responsible legally.

I have a lot of softwares to use the data but am mainly now on Pointcab. I have pointsense and luposcan license but don't use them often.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Steve_Euclideon
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Steve Amor
Company Details: Euclideon
Company Position Title: Business Dev

Post by Steve_Euclideon »

Yes, the Euclideon udStream application does allow markups directly into the scene and can be saved as a project.
You can also bring in CSV, 12D string lines, annotations, panoramic spheres, etc.
In the near future we are introducing 'collaboration' - meaning multiple users can share projects and mark up in 'real time' with each other.
Steve
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm One man shop here. Main instrument Riegl VZ400i and a older Trimble TX5.

If only used by myself and no other i do not clean my pointclouds, otherwise i clean them so on the exterior nothing from the interior is visible and vice versa when the data is delivered to a client or an outsourcing company. I only clean mirroring and reflections. I don not clean unwanted data like tables, chairs, people,....

I do 2d in house when it is feasable with other stuff going on, otherwise outsourcing.

If it is scanning with boundaries i do all myself as i'm licensed and responsible legally.

I have a lot of softwares to use the data but am mainly now on Pointcab. I have pointsense and luposcan license but don't use them often.
Lievan,

Specifically for you, cause you are a one-man shop. If there were a publicly provided web-cloud service of a scan data library, and it consolidated scans that were collected/produced by that public entity into a library that was geo-searchable (think ArcGIS online web-app) for a defined area (say a USA\ State\ County), would you find it valuable as a value added public service to local professional businesses -in that county/State, to have access to that data (albeit "second-hand recycled" data from other publicly financed projects) including the metadata concerning that particular data, and the assurance it had already been certified by a licensed professional and tied to the local Grid coordinate system?
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

gsisman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:55 pm
BUT I'd like to know if there are other workflows out there (and the relative cost by PM please) that will accomplish the same thing.....we are ALWAYS exploring the latest technology and trying to get the best fit, but re-learning decades of software use doesn't work, unless the are similar (i.e. Carlson/ACAD etc). The key factor is the ability to Visualize and work off a pointcloud with an Autodesk compatible plug-in that allows both interaction with the pointclouds and effective exports and controls of sectional and portional views of a larger project clouds (limit boxes/views) without a lot of cutting, pasting and re-exporting.
Wow...crickets...you mean that there are literally no other plugins for Autodesk. Is everyone just going with RCP files then?
We haven't done that in a while and when we did the whole projection and meters/feet items got screwed up by Recap.
Does anyone know if Euclideon directly has markup capability in their viewer.....it is the endless detail functionality that Leica has licensed, as has I think the latest version of Unreal Engine.....
So one reason why I didn't answer at all: I don't see a possible workflow change for you.
Leica is the biggest provider of an in house software suite package deal.
I mean the other hardware manufacturers have similar tools available, but I think not to the extend Leica does.
However if you don't go along with the: I want to buy everything from the same company, then there are a lot of niche products, when combined, give you the same processing capabilities.
Since you already have the scanners, at one point or another you need to export an E57 and import it into another application.

badam wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:21 pm [...]

i don't know if point cab is available for revit or not. but in the forum you can find undet plugin as well, which is for data extraction from point clouds.

[...]
Yes it is, and the results of the software can be inserted directly into AutoCAD as well.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

VXGrid wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:10 pm
gsisman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:55 pm
BUT I'd like to know if there are other workflows out there (and the relative cost by PM please) that will accomplish the same thing.....
So one reason why I didn't answer at all: I don't see a possible workflow change for you.
Leica is the biggest provider of an in house software suite package deal.
I mean the other hardware manufacturers have similar tools available, but I think not to the extend Leica does.
However if you don't go along with the: I want to buy everything from the same company, then there are a lot of niche products, when combined, give you the same processing capabilities.
Since you already have the scanners, at one point or another you need to export an E57 and import it into another application.

badam wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:21 pm [...]

[...]
Yes it is, and the results of the software can be inserted directly into AutoCAD as well.
Well we technically have only one piece of hardware, the BLK360 at this point -and of course the network storage and throughput enhancements (the other desktops on our floor are mostly pitifully slow 100mbs connections), although we have obtained processed scanning data multiple times from several consultant sources with a mixture of sensors, but are looking to have underlying scanning data repository for both engineering design work and or Engineering Planning as well as Facilities Management and improvement projects.
The Scanning for infra-structure purposes started in the DOT and hoping to expand it into DGS (county Facilities Management). The Police Dept. has had scanning in their forensic unit a while, but as for most law enforcement, crime investigation entities- that is pretty sealed off from any mixture of resources. The software we've been subscribing to is pricey but it does the job thoroughly, but we still are looking at the expansion of the system and the need to get it in a registered cloud formats with pictures/imagery. The latter is essential with the end-goal we have for multi-use by multiple county entities. The latest NavVis IVION has been catching my eye a-lot, especially for the Facilities management future.
For the engineering CAD portion I will have to look at Undet again more intently
kpob46
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Kyle OBrien
Company Details: Nutrien
Company Position Title: Mine Technologist

Post by kpob46 »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:44 pm One man shop here. Main instrument Riegl VZ400i and a older Trimble TX5.

Hey Lieven,

How are you sharing the RiPano data? Are you hosting it on a server or do you tend to deliver the entire project to the client?
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

kpob46 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:07 pm

Hey Lieven,

How are you sharing the RiPano data? Are you hosting it on a server or do you tend to deliver the entire project to the client?
I do both but more hosting on a webserver.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]

Return to “Opinion Polls”