Leica RTC360 vs Faro Focus S150

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.

RTC360 vs S150

RTC360
46%
Focus S150
54%

Total votes: 267

JFlammVDC
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Jason Flamm
Company Details: PARIC Corporation
Company Position Title: VDC Survey Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Leica RTC360 vs Faro Focus S150

Post by JFlammVDC »

robodell wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:22 pm
Side note...we scan a lot of roofs and have to haul equipment up by rope so I'm interested if anyone has done this with the RTC. We've also scanned large buildings with no power and had to carry equipment up 9 flights of stairs. If we bought the RTC do I need to hit the weights harder? :lol:
This is everything to me. The FARO was a revelation to me after spending time at a survey company that had the P-series. The construction company I work for now had me pre-pour scanning a PT deck on the 30th floor last week. The buck hoist operators left before I got done. The buck hoist is always 2-3 floors short of the top floor so I had to ladder down a couple floors before catching the stairs the rest of the way. Just having the collapsible tripod in a bag and a 350S in the box was easy enough. I couldn't imagine having to carry a big ol' P-series and full size tripod down the whole way!
PLS MO, AR, MS
Part 107 UAS Pilot
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

topogeo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:18 am Last little work done with RTC360.
Scan on the exterior of a small farm.
All scans 6mm @ 10m with colors.
C2C recording except for a small section away from the buildings where I recorded the scans using targets.
58 Target detected with GNSS with permanent network support.
(I know .. there are so many: but in the country there were two of us and so the second operator, having nothing to do, was constantly putting targets :-)
38 scans: raw file size 18.2 Gb
project in Register360: 43.790 Gb
E57 exported from Register360: 16.7 Gb
LGS file exported from Register360: 9.28 Gb
Recap (rcp) project created by importing the E57 files: 15.46 gb
Rcs file shown by Recap with 5 mm sampling: 6.14 Gb
In total the work occupies 109.57 GB.
In the campaign NOT use Cyclone field but VIS is always active.
Times in the office (Lenovo p330, I7 8700, 64 gb ram, GTX 1060 6gb card, SSD 512 m.2 + SSD 2TB and final storage on NAS).
Register360 upload: 3 h 25 '
Recording (verification with Visual Alignent of imported connections and creation of missing ones, ID assignment to targets, etc.): 2 h (as mentioned, I had many targets ...)
Export file LGS and E57: 50 '
Import in Recap file E57: 1h 40 '

Piercarlo
Piercarlo,

Nice breakdown. I've been keeping a spreadsheet like this on RTC vs BLK, but I always get distracted in the middle of my million other tasks and inside DOT client yelling for data. Thanks! We also have strated shooting reflectorless targets as we go with the BLK and has made our cloudfitting and target registration so much tighter on our mostly linear or intersection projects
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

ericwinkelman wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:09 pm RTC360 weighs 4~5 lbs more per specification sheet. Faro & Leica both sell custom backpacks for similar price.

I took our RTC360 onto a roof at a fire scene once. I kept it in the hard case and pulled it up on rope whilst someone on the ground held a tagline to keep it from swinging. Next time I'll probably use a belay system to be safe instead of pulling the rope hand over hand.
Having carried a Cyrax2500 and it's battery up many flights of stairs! I would rather take either of these tiny little scanners any day ;) Maybe my arms would get shorter again :lol:
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
BrendanL
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Brendan
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by BrendanL »

robodell wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:22 pm Those of you that have the RTC360...

Have you traveled by plane with it?

I have not had an opportunity to physically see an RTC myself so I'm not sure how it compares in size and weight to the Faro. I know with Faro you can buy the backpack or carry on case (I would never check it after seeing how airport workers toss bags) and store it in the overhead bin but don't know what Leica may or may not have for air travel. We have shipped our Faro scanners via FedEx before but it gets expensive.

Side note...we scan a lot of roofs and have to haul equipment up by rope so I'm interested if anyone has done this with the RTC. We've also scanned large buildings with no power and had to carry equipment up 9 flights of stairs. If we bought the RTC do I need to hit the weights harder? :lol:
I've taken it on planes with the Backpack, easy to put into overhead compartment. The only problem is the tripod is a bit bulkier and gets in the way a bit.

Fully loaded backpack setup; RTC360, 4 batteries, tripod, ipad backpack was just under 13kg.
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

robodell wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:22 pm Those of you that have the RTC360...

Have you traveled by plane with it?

I have not had an opportunity to physically see an RTC myself so I'm not sure how it compares in size and weight to the Faro. I know with Faro you can buy the backpack or carry on case (I would never check it after seeing how airport workers toss bags) and store it in the overhead bin but don't know what Leica may or may not have for air travel. We have shipped our Faro scanners via FedEx before but it gets expensive.

Ive scanned in 30 of 50 states with the RTC360.

Return to “Opinion Polls”