Faro Freestyle X hand held - recommended?

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
exforma23
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Eric Ucci
Company Details: Take Shape
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro Freestyle X hand held - recommended?

Post by exforma23 »

Hello All,
I am considering buying a Freestyle X to go along with my trimble tx5s (faro s120s).
I like the idea of buying tech that is a few yrs old after it has been tested and reviewed and the price drops.
I see see freestyle x being offered (used) at a substantial discount off the original price of about 14k.

Usually, I use my scanners for surveying architectural interiors for use in CAD software designing new store fixtures, exhibits, structure, etc.
I would like to add a handheld option so that I can make more complete scans in more complicated shapes (public sculptures, vehicles, organic shapes such as trees, people, etc.). I would like the addition of the handheld option also for creating more complete and detailed meshes for use in 3D printing and manufacturing (foam cutting robot arm routers, etc.).

Faro advertises 3D point accuracy ≤ 1.0mm (@1m distance) for the FX. I see lots of claims about accuracy. But it's hard to make and apples to apples comparison with other scanners currently on the market.
It's seams to be a very good fit with my tx5s. And I already have a scene license.

I'd like to hear from folks who have experience with the Freestyle x

Are there other scanners out there in the 5k-7k range that have better precision and would be a good fit with my tx5s?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro Freestyle X hand held - recommended?

Post by bdawood »

I used to own a Freestyle X, it is a wonderful scanner and works way better than the Freestyle. I got rid of it only because I don't use it as much. The scans a vivid and very accurate and you don't lose track as much and if you do, it is easy to get back on track. You have to follow procedures to get a good reliable scans.

Return to “Opinion Polls”