QC of CAD drawings from PointCloud

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Malte Holm
Company Details: TLS
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: QC of CAD drawings from PointCloud

Post by MalteHC »

mike annear wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am COE for Cyclone is flakey at the best of times, it struggles to handle even the most basic CAD entities.
Don't overlook CloudCompare, it is free, it handles 3D models pretty well, it has very nice slicing tools and you can run QA comparisons between meshes and point clouds.
Mike.
But isnt cloudcompare pretty slow, if you load in 100gb of data or so and isnt it (as you describe yourself) mostly for 3D models and not so much for CAD drawings?
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning

Post by steves01x »

I think the smoothest option would be to invest in Cloudworx then you stream the point cloud.

With your current software, you could convert all the scans to pods and attempt to attach them in MicroStation but its fairly slow going!
soranan
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Suran Khani
Company Details: SkelDK Landinspektoerer

Post by soranan »

Hi everyone

Thank you very much for your reply’s. I have used the COE-Plugin myself, and it does work "ok", since it is only a visual control.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

danielgadowski wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am There is nothing automatic that will allow you to do this, it's all manual and visual.
you could potentially make a DTM out of the extracted data and overlay it with the source point cloud, but this wont show you everything anyway.
Plus there is the fact that the survey linework is an approximation of what the reality (or point cloud) really looks like.
DTM differences can be good for finding missing kerbs, potholes, lamposts and other stuff that relates to the ground. An additional similar tool we have in SCC is difference from templated surface. So if you have an alignment, and cross section templates wherever your design / theoretical surface changes, you treat it as a swept surface. Given this you can then generate a normal distance for each point in the scan against that surface and use it to colour the scan. The advantage here is that you can deal with overhangs like bridges and non-circular tunnels which a DTM struggles with, and that the distances are normal distances rather than height differences. You can also use the templates to unwrap / flatten the result which can be visually more appealing. For mobile LIDAR, having the photography is also a great help.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

Have a loom at LSS from McCarthy Taylor. Their 3D vision software is very impressive and its very streamline when panning through a point cloud, no lag at all. Plus, you can create a full topo drawing in 3D vision then just export the 3D linework to CAD. The selection tool it uses s like an orb/sphere and it has different setting for whatever your are drawing, so it will snap onto highest point, corners of kerbs/buildings etc.
bertazizoglu
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Bert
Company Details: NUBIGON
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: bertazizoglu

Post by bertazizoglu »

Have a go at NUBIGON for this task. Once processed into our native format, you can render unlimited volumes of point clouds at full res in real time (no lag, no buffer, no downsampling during navigation) and bring in CAD drawings and then compare them visually, e.g. https://youtu.be/Vf9omEB4BFg?t=118 The trial is available for free for two weeks and can be downloaded from our website (see below).
Bert M. Azizoglu
Co-Founder & CEO
NUBIGON Inc.
Web: https://nubigon.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/nubigon

Return to “Opinion Polls”