Specification Sheet Metrics

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.

Are you in favor of a "standardized" specifications sheet within Reality Capture?

Yes
25%
No
No votes
Important Factors:
4%
Range
8%
Accuracy
25%
Workflow
17%
acquisition speed
13%
HDR images
4%
Warranty
4%

Total votes: 24

Chris Kercheval
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Christopher Kercheval
Company Details: TopKerv Consulting
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: christopher.kercheval
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Specification Sheet Metrics

Post by Chris Kercheval »

The mission - Gauge interest from users in the idea that products have published specifications in the same metrics.

Which factors are the most important in making an evaluation/purchasing decision?
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: Specification Sheet Metrics

Post by smacl »

What's the thinking behind only allowing four options on the poll? Seems reasonable that if you're comparing similar products you do it on a more substantial number of variables.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I suppose standardizing some specifications such as angular accuracy, range, range noise, density per mm at a given range etc... would be useful. I made a sheet some time ago, looking at angular accuracies of the various scanners (a client actually specified that the scanner had to have angular accuracy of 8") and had to convert radians to arcseconds for example.

I can't see there being much incentive for manufacturers to agree on a common specification though, as they will each want to express the figures in a way which flatters their product.

I remember a salesman telling me that a scanner had a range of 300m. It was only when I read the spec sheet that I realised he was being truthful, but only at 90% albedo - which is the colour of snow! The actual useful range was more like 80m. Similarly, it's worth checking to see if manufacturers are quoting figures to 1 sigma or 2 sigma.
Chris Kercheval
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Christopher Kercheval
Company Details: TopKerv Consulting
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: christopher.kercheval

Post by Chris Kercheval »

smacl wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 pm What's the thinking behind only allowing four options on the poll? Seems reasonable that if you're comparing similar products you do it on a more substantial number of variables.
Which variables are important to you?
I will add them in as the goal is complete user feedback.
Best Regards,

Christopher Kercheval
TopKerv Consulting
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Chris Kercheval wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:53 pm
smacl wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 pm What's the thinking behind only allowing four options on the poll? Seems reasonable that if you're comparing similar products you do it on a more substantial number of variables.
Which variables are important to you?
I will add them in as the goal is complete user feedback.
I guess it depends to a large degree on the application. Reality capture is potentially a very broad term. In the context of this forum most would include terrestrial and mobile scanning, SLAM scanning and aerial LIDAR. Some would also include UAV and terrestrial photogrammetery. You could certainly including scanning total stations. Metrics such as accuracy have to be very carefully defined when dealing with such different devices to have any meaningful value. Similarly acquisition speed is not comparable for devices where end to end processing speed may be vastly different.

If you're bringing in variables such as warranty, you also need to consider purchase cost, training cost, and annual maintenance charges. Range of supporting software options is also critical to fit into existing workflows. Weight, form factor, IP rating and ease of use are also going to be important.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Opinion Polls”