Need to choose between FARO S150 Vs LEICA P40 or .. ZF 5010 ?

Please post all your polls you want others opinion on.
archiscan
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: archiscan
Company Details: scanning modelising buildings
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Need to choose between FARO S150 Vs LEICA P40 or .. ZF 5010 ?

Post by archiscan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:30 am

Hy everybody
My name is Guillaume, from France (St Malo, Bretagne)
I started my activity 18 month ago, after meeting a guy who owned a FAROS120, using it for small rehabilitations..
I bought his scanner and hired his operator. We bought a second FARO S120.
We started the activity scanning houses, restaurant for my client (Architects).
When started, we used to deliver dwg plans. Then i started working with foreign freelancer for 3D (Revit) as in France, few people nows it.
Now we deliver BIM modelisation (REVIT) of real good quality, i hired a Vietnam architect (10 years bim) who came to st Malo!
Ourprojects became bigger these last month..
We scanned 10000m² to 20000m² project.. with our 2 FARO S 120..
We discovered we were too light in our way of working.. our scanner are too old, unprecise, and their software... no comment, Scene is not made for huge project. not at all.
I am here because I NEED HELP.
As you understood i m not at all technician, geometer or from the scanning environnement; i need to change my scanners (URGENT).
I scan small house (100/200 m²) to 20 000m² (hospital, factory etc..)
I need a good scanner with a good soft to make us win time as our situation with FARO is critical.
Leica proposed me a P40, their soft seams good, but isn 't an old rnage of scan the P40?

I also was interested in the ZF 5010.. The rolls? with the possibility to stick the scans on a tablet while scanning, with a software that allows projects with hundred of scans.. I havent benn presented yet the ZF. Price turns arround 100 000€ (scan+soft) which is just.. a lot. BUT if it makes me win time..

So please help me beacause i don t now what scanner to choose.
Idea would be a small faro for house and a proefessional one for biggest projects.
No comment on the FARO service who is to my mind, at the level of their sales prices : LOW.
With ZF i saw some post that says it is a very good technical support.

Thank you for reading me, and for your futur help
Best
Guillaume

steves01x
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Need to choose between FARO S150 Vs LEICA P40 or .. ZF 5010 ?

Post by steves01x » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 am

Not used ZF but they do look like excellent scanners - but i would never been convinced by a registration that was done as you go on a tablet unless it was done with 4 common targets between each scan and i would still want to check the numbers and slice the point cloud through out to check its lined up.

I use P40 and Cyclone and really like the work flow and Cyclone looks as if its just improved even more with its next release. I have scanned small to large areas/buildings and P40 has been excellent - there are only a couple of places within some jobs that the Faro has been the only option due to size and weight.

I scanned my house and my parents with the P40 - yes a Faro would of been slightly easier due to its size and weight but for the short time it takes to level the tripod properly or figure out how your getting the scanner in to the attic its worth the extra time for the quality and easy registration with no targets or spheres all over the place!
IMG_20170520_163600.jpg
IMG_20170521_180359.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:31 pm

I've just had a demo with a riegl vz400i and was astounded with it's ease of use and speed of scanning.

No leveling, rtk-gps on top for exteriors and 1mins per scan, excellent results. We did a test with different frequencies and scanned up to 1100m. Fast interior scans (20seconds) for drawing 2d plans.

I don't have experience with z&f but heard from another source that the scanning with the tablet takes time and isn't as productive as on the demo-videos.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +3211661621
www.landmeter-beuckx.be
info@landmeter-beuckx.be

bdawood
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.

Post by bdawood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:34 pm

I also have S120 with scene 6.2, I do lots of scanning, around 400 scans per project in some cases. Scene seems to handle very well and no issues, I register my scans using C to C, I had a demo the other day for the S350, it is a good machine with lots of improvements, they have changed the laser wavelength so you get consistent deviation across the scan or as the claim, also a new upgrade to the software is around the corner. I think it is worth looking at it again considering the price point.

bdawood
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.

Post by bdawood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:43 pm

BTW, z+f does not come with the software you need, it comes with Laser Control Pro, not Pro Plus. If you need to do C to C registration then you need the Pro Plus, another $10000 extra or so.

Bashar

Aaron_Hazen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Aaron J.R. Hazen
Company Details: Coast 2 Coast Surveys
Company Position Title: Senior Project Manager - 3d Architecture

Post by Aaron_Hazen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 pm

We have around 10 ~1000-2000 scan projects successfully with Faro X130s and Scene. We even did some with Scene 5.4.

You just have to use many small clusters and there certainly is a learning curve. Cloud to Cloud and target based registrations need to be Checked and very "tight" as you move up from small clusters to large ones. If you misregister in a group of 20, it will mess up the registration to another group of 20, and then to the group of 100, and then to the group of 500, and then show up in the final check when you can't get the two largest pieces together.

Really you must be diligent in keeping it perfect as you build each 10-20 scan cluster in the beginning. And then diligent in connecting those clusters. And so on and so forth....

But it is certainly very possible.
Aaron Hazen
Senior Project Manager

ahazenc2c@gmail.com
http://imgur.com/a/CzfH4

RobM
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Robin Miller
Company Details: Werny+Partner
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by RobM » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 pm

I recently completed a project with 800+ scans plus UAV data with my Faro S120 and X130. I stopped using Faro Scene about a year ago and switched to Trimble Realworks which IMO handels large projects a lot better than scene. I think your two Faro Scanners are still good enough for your purpose, you might just want to look at a better registration solution. For what its worth, i don't really see any benefits in upgrading to a newer Faro scanner for BIM modelling. Not sure about Z+F, Leica or Riegl as I have never used them before ( don't really care for the Leica, Trimble or Riegl scanners as they are just way to large)

pomped
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Daniel Pompe
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Software Developer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by pomped » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:31 am

From the software side you should have a close look the the next FARO SCENE software version which is coming soon.

SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Attaya
Company Details: Geocent
Company Position Title: Sr. Software Analyst [RemoteSensingEngr]

Post by SAttaya » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 pm

pomped wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:31 am
From the software side you should have a close look the the next FARO SCENE software version which is coming soon.
Sure hope Faro's coming soon on next version of Scene
is much sooner than count down clock on Leica's BLK360.

The important date is delivery - not announcement.

I remember seeing something about 7.0 in June...didn't specify a year :lol:

gabrio
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Scan2BIM - R+TB Architetti Associati
Company Position Title: co-founder partner

Post by gabrio » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:51 pm

my 2 cents: talking about the workflow, from laserscanning to registered point cloud, we're talking about hw+sw. zf 5010 is my first love. so my suggestion should be to get a look at z+f imager 5016. i also use laser control professional plus, handling projects of 1000+ scans. but i'm also looking at the riegl vz400i for the fastest scan process i've seen. so: zf 5016 = accuracy, lightweight, dimensions of hw, control during scanning on the field ( to permit to reduce the number of scanposition ad less as necessary). riegl vz400i: fastest on field, the best sw but heavy weight and no control on field during scanning.
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
g.rossi@scan2bim.it
www.scan2bim.it

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.22.27.76

Return to “Opinion Polls”