Buying a new Desktop

Total Stations, CAD Workstations, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Targets & Tripods Etc.
Fresh
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Fresh
Company Details: AFC
Company Position Title: Land-Engineering Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Buying a new Desktop

Post by Fresh »

Hi all, we are buying a new desktop to be able to process "in house" all the survey data. I am a bit lost with latest desktop hardware but it has to be capable of working with heavy applications (point clouds-cyclone,Revit,etc) efficiently. Any recommendation on any computer that you may be using currently or what should be the minimum requirements to consider? I don't want to go for the tighter option but at the same time I wouldn't like to go too far above of what I would need..

Thank you!

dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O. Hirota Inc.
Company Position Title: President

Re: Buying a new Desktop

Post by dhirota »

I just purchased three new desktops: 2 DELL M4800 and one DELL M6800. They are used primarily to capture and process mobile lidar scan data. They are not standard desktop workstations that most people think of, but they offer the flexibility of data capture, processing power, battery life (5 hours per battery, swappable battery), SSD storage,4K Nvidia Quadro graphics card, 3-USB3 ports, HDMI port.

The M4800 are i7 processors, configured with 2 each Samsung 1TB SSD + 1 each Samsung 1TB msata SSD for a total of 3TB SSD internal storage, and 32GB RAM.

The M6800 is i7 processor, configured with 3 each Samsung 2TB SSD + 1 each Samsung 1TB msata SSD for a total of 7TB SSD internal storage, 32GB RAM, Quadro K4100M with 4GB RAM with touch screen 1920X1080. this makes this a traveling desktop almost equal to our other desktops with 64GB RAM.

Attached is the M6800 that I take to presentations in place of the Apple MacBook Pro Retina that I have used for the last 3 years with limited Windows 7 space, limited RAM and hanging external SSD storage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
[email protected]

dtmcnamara
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David McNamara
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Research

Post by dtmcnamara »

Fresh wrote:Hi all, we are buying a new desktop to be able to process "in house" all the survey data. I am a bit lost with latest desktop hardware but it has to be capable of working with heavy applications (point clouds-cyclone,Revit,etc) efficiently. Any recommendation on any computer that you may be using currently or what should be the minimum requirements to consider? I don't want to go for the tighter option but at the same time I wouldn't like to go too far above of what I would need..

Thank you!
What are the specs on the computer you are currently using and what software are you going to run on the system?

Also are you wanting to buy pre-built or are you willing to build one yourself?

max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

It really depends on your software.
Anyway a couple of personals suggestions:

Number of cores/processor speed
Many tools use a single core during processing. If you are using them having many cores is not helping much.
Some exploit muticore and multi threading for at least some steps. In this case if you put some money there you can have a benefit, but it is really tool dependent.

Memory
As much as possible. Here are very rare examples of tools being easy on the memory. At !east one in your chain will require more memory, independently on the amount.

Disk
At least a ssd for the scan data. Handling back and forth gigabytes of data all the time is the norm. Use ssd, the advantage is impressive.

Memory card
This is related to the software in use. Mind in many cases a gamers card is better than a pro card...
In some cases if you have a quadro you are suggested to switch to 3d game modes or similar... Check the software you use.

Backup
Your data will occupy a lot of space, that's it....

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net

Fresh
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Fresh
Company Details: AFC
Company Position Title: Land-Engineering Surveyor

Post by Fresh »

Hi, many thanks for the answers..the idea is to decide the desktop specs and ordering later to a company which will properly assemble it because I have checked and is a bit cheaper and obviously more flexible than buying a pre-built.

The specs were in my mind are:
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor
Memory: 32gb
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (4gb)
Hard drive: 2 TB & 480 GB SSD
Motherboard: get advice from the assembler to buy one with good future upgrading possibilities.

These specs I think could work well after seeing dhirota equipment and reading your answers..but maybe adding 1tb instead of the 480gb ssd and upgrading to 64gb RAM is a good idea to keep the computer updated in a mid-term.
dtmcnamara wrote:
What are the specs on the computer you are currently using and what software are you going to run on the system?

Also are you wanting to buy pre-built or are you willing to build one yourself?
The software we are going to run will be basically Cyclone/Cloudworx/Revit. About the desktop I already answered I prefer to order a tailored one.

I appreciate any further opinions about this possible purchase and anything you think could be better, thank you! :geek:

dtmcnamara
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David McNamara
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Research

Post by dtmcnamara »

Go with 64GB of RAM and see if you can get it in sticks of 16GB each, this way if you ever need more youcan easily upgrad and not throw old sticks out. GPU wise, take a look and see what it would cost for a Titan Z card. They have dropped a TON in price and are amazing! One of these cards is better than my 2 GTX-780ti and 2 Tesla M2090 setup (im currently selling all my cards after getting to use a rig with a Titan Z). HDD wise, I would say 1TB ssd, they are cheap now, and a 4TB 7200rpm drive and you should be good.

CPU wise the 4790K is good. I like the 2011 socket better, but if your buying prebuilt, the 4790k will be just fine

jacob.feindt
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jacob Feindt
Company Details: Advanced Geomatics
Company Position Title: CTO

Post by jacob.feindt »

I just put together a new workstation a couple months ago.

Mostly parts from Newegg.

i7 5960x Intel CPU O/C'd to 4.5GHz
128GB DDR4 RAM
MSI X99A Gaming Mobo
EVGA 980TI 6GB video (plan to add 2nd later)
1TB SSD
4TB HDD

System cost me $3500 to put together.

Return to “Other Hardware”