Targets

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
nsteinbock
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: nathan
Company Details: laser scanning
Company Position Title: surveyor
Skype Name: nathan.steinbock
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Targets

Post by nsteinbock »

I was doing some elevated scanning using Leica 6" Tilt & Turn swivel targets and some of the targets fell and were damaged. I wanted to know if there was a company that repairs these targets. I contacted Leica but they were not able to help me. Thanks for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brianpgreen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Green
Company Details: Green Forensics-Azure Green Consultants
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: brian.green.forensics
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by brianpgreen »

Have any of you had experience with spheres from both Koppa Targets and Laser Scanning Europe/America? I need to get an order in. I'm planning on 12 145/150 mm spheres, a trajectory rod set, and probably two or three 200 or 250 mm. I like that laser scanning europe provides a matching prism but I haven't seen as many people here talking about their spheres while I've seen a number of references from satisfied Koppa customers.

Thanks

Brian Green
Green Forensics, Inc.
www.green-forensics.com
3DLS@WKC
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Geoff Warren
Company Details: WKC Spatial
Company Position Title: Laser Scanning Manager

Post by 3DLS@WKC »

nsteinbock wrote:I was doing some elevated scanning using Leica 6" Tilt & Turn swivel targets and some of the targets fell and were damaged. I wanted to know if there was a company that repairs these targets. I contacted Leica but they were not able to help me. Thanks for any help.
Hi Nathan,

What exactly is damaged on them? We have dropped a few over the years and we find that they are actually pretty fragile. We find that even a small drop can cause them to become inaccurate in that the centre of the target doesn't remain in the same place as you rotate them through 360°, in some instances the centre deviated by up to 7.8 millimetres. Needless to say that target has gone to our museum :) Have you tested the accuracy of them once they are dropped, I posted on another thread but didn't get much of a response as to if or how anyone tests the accuracy. We have devised a methodology for doing so that I sent to our contacts at leica to verify but after numerous requests have had no meaningful response as to whether it is in fact an accurate methodology. Apparently they had never heard of anyone verifiying the targets for accuracy.

Regards,

Geoff Warren.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

I have the basic spheres from Laserscanning Europe. They were included with my scanner.
I have not koppa's so I cannot compare them.
Anyway the spheres are quite good. I like the miniprism, the magnet and the M8 thread allowing me to print adapters and play with various mounting solutions.
One fell on the floor and I experienced not structural damage but part of the paint cracked and peeled off. Next time I'll drop it I'll use some matt spray to patch the zone...
The demo scanner I had the opportunity to test had the same spheres, and they had larger areas with paint removed, so comparing mine I would guess that they supported many "crash tests".. :-)
I'm satisfied with them.
I purchased some stuff from Laserscanning Europe (miniprism, targets) and the service has allways been excellent.
The also sell some disks that I found very nice to use in combination with spheres and miniprism when there is not metal around:
http://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/3D ... n-surfaces

Independently of the supplier:
I have some bigger home made spheres and I think bigger spheres are a very nice addition.
The other obvious point is you cannot mix 145 and 150 spheres.. :-)

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
nsteinbock
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: nathan
Company Details: laser scanning
Company Position Title: surveyor
Skype Name: nathan.steinbock
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by nsteinbock »

Thanks for the reply Geoff. The upper part of the base that turns and connects to the piece that houses the target is leaning to one side. I have not tested the accuracy as I know they are out of vertical alignment. I'm surprised Leica does not service these as they are relatively expensive. Thanks for the info.
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

Have you considered removing the damaged part highlighted in red below?

If you look underneath at the yellow arrow you'll see an Allen bolt. You can then screw a screw-to-stub adapter into the threads marked from the top by the blue arrow.
Tilt&TurnTarget.jpg
http://www.sccssurvey.co.uk/46-b690-adapter.html

Thumbnail Screenshots by Thumbshots

Or even use one of these to screw into the bottom with the 5/8th thread.

http://www.sccssurvey.co.uk/rotating-tr ... screw.html

Thumbnail Screenshots by Thumbshots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”