External Camera Use - Feedback

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
dwmales
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: David W. Males
Company Details: SDMM
Company Position Title: Dir Sales and Marketing

External Camera Use - Feedback

Post by dwmales »

We are considering the use of an external camera with our scanning workflows. We use a Leica C10 for everything (at this time) and have just been contracted to scan the first floor of a regional airport (all common/public areas). The owner is very interested in re-purposing the imagery for multiple requirements. It is likely the scanning will be carried out during the hours of 23h00 - 040h00 when the people traffic is at an absolute minimum, however, this means we have only artificial light available which tends to be quite cool (WB).

I am interested in feedback from users who have gone down this route:

* Were you satisfied that the quality of imagery was superior to using the built-in scanner camera?
* What steps were taken to maximize the quality of image capture?
* Can the camera images (raw?) be post-processed (i.e. using Lightroom to enhance) prior to using Cyclone to combine with laser data?
* Did you use a scanner mount, or, a second tripod to avoid having to mount/dismount the camera?
* We are considering both the Nodal Ninja and the Leica external camera kits - any pro/cons are welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Dave M.
colhum1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Colin Humphreys
Company Details: Warwickshire Police
Company Position Title: Forensic Collision Investigator
Skype Name: col.humphreys
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: External Camera Use - Feedback

Post by colhum1 »

Hi Dave,
Take a look at the iSTAR by NCTech....loads of stuff on the forum. ;)

I think it really improves the C10 data and as you only really need to scan in medium res / no images, the iSTAR can save loads of time on multiple stations.

Take a look at this post:

http://www.laserscanningforum.com/forum ... 173&t=7637

Colin
"Just leave me alone. I know what I am doing" - Kimi Räikkönen

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”