One Click VR - Ricoh Theta

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: One Click VR - Ricoh Theta

Post by 3DForensics »

Scott wrote:
jcoco3 wrote: I am hoping that a future firmware version for the Focus would have...
I wonder how much more magic can be squeezed out of the firmware, and thus extend the life and usefulness of the scanner hardware? Anyone from FARO listening?
I think there is still plenty that could be done even with the current camera. It would just take someone to work on the firmware and perhaps some work in Scene too. If you look at how the camera can change the photos by switching between Zenith, Even Weighted and Horizon Weighted, you can see that there is a ton that could be achieved by giving the user greater control of the camera settings. Even a pseudo HDR mode with what is available now...and of course, the "capture photos only button"...like that one has never come up before!
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

hmm...is this could be deeper conversation about how much effort should any manufacturer put into old products vs developing new products? While I am a user of many products that I wish would last forever, there is a reasonable limit to how much effort should be thrown at recycling the older products versus creating new products that are an evolutionary step ahead. I really hate to say it, but there is definitely a point of diminishing returns. Companies that make products have to sell new products to stay alive. To be honest, at some point I become reluctant to ask the developers to waste their time on upgrading my old stuff :? I am still extremely grateful when I get a free firmware/software upgrade, but at some point we have to pay to get more. I am as guilty of being "thrifty" as anyone.

I don't expect many to agree with my point of view, but I can speak from experience on a manufacturer's side of things that many customers make request that are not in the best interest of the company the future of the products/industry and would ultimately be a detrimental waste of time. I question the validity of my own request frequently.

All that being said, there is certainly no harm in our collaborative request and speaking to many different manufacturers they appear to welcome our thoughts as more fuel for the fire.

Wow, I just ran this way off topic :lol: Hey, does anyone know if the Theta supports full manual mode? The specs are hard to interpret and I cannot understand if ISO is always set in auto mode.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by tbwester »

Jonathan,
The theta can take maunal shots. I've seen photos from it at night, where you can see stars - like you would get from a DSLR nighttime exposure. pretty impressive from a little usb dongle :)
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

That is quite impressive, also thanks from ignoring my ramblings and not making a big deal about it :lol:

A little bit bigger than a dongle though:
Ricoh_Theta.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning

Post by tbwester »

Fair. I'll settle for 20% cheaper and smaller than the next spherical camera. :D
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: VHB
Company Position Title: Geomatics Manager

Post by JLarson »

Does this camera offer a mode where you shot one half, step around and shot the other half? Purpose would be to not have the operator in the shot.
Jason Larson, PLS
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

On the other hand, companies that regularly update their old products do tend to produce very loyal customers. Plus for big ticket items like scanners they get to keep collecting maintenance fees for all of those old units. As long as they set those rates sensibly there's no reason they should be losing money. Of course you're right though, nothing lives forever.
Jed
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Very good point. Maintenance is not an inexpensive thing, we should receive something more than just calibration for the cost.
Geo Scan Surveying
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Sam Lynas
Company Details: Geo Scan Surveying Solutions
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Geo Scan Surveying »

Does anyone know the height the riser would need to be to be in the same position as the Faro, and where to buy such equipment to do so?
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc

Post by dhirota »

I just spoke to a person that I consider an authority on 360 cameras, that considers the Ricoh Theta has a poor exposure capability in contrasting light conditions.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”