AMD Ryzen Threadripper

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper

Post by smacl »

dhirota wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:19 pm What is surprising that after one year from the announcement of the AMD Ryzen 1950X or any of the other AMD Ryzen models there are
not many, if any, software vendors indicating that their software will run at higher performance with AMD Ryzen than with Intel processors and no one posting anything on this thread with trials.

If it does, it has not been published widely here at LSF.
Sounds like an opportunity for an interesting article. A bit of performance analysis for typical scanning workflows using different hardware and software combinations would make for a great read. Not sure who here would have the necessary hardware, software and expertise. Phil Marsh maybe?
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

Phil Marsh for sure!
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

ericguizzetti wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:33 am Phil Marsh for sure!
Second that... ;)
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO

Post by fillway »

smacl wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:25 am
dhirota wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:19 pm What is surprising that after one year from the announcement of the AMD Ryzen 1950X or any of the other AMD Ryzen models there are
not many, if any, software vendors indicating that their software will run at higher performance with AMD Ryzen than with Intel processors and no one posting anything on this thread with trials.

If it does, it has not been published widely here at LSF.
Sounds like an opportunity for an interesting article. A bit of performance analysis for typical scanning workflows using different hardware and software combinations would make for a great read. Not sure who here would have the necessary hardware, software and expertise. Phil Marsh maybe?
I have a Threadripper 1950x with 2 1080 Ti's, 128 GB DDR4, 1TB m.2 HDD, and trial or full versions of almost all scanning related software, so if there is a particular test someone wants to run, I may be able to help.

Since most of my post work began after purchase of the system, I don't have much of a reference point pre-Threadripper. I maybe saw 3-4 large jobs run on older hardware I then took the data from and ran on the Threadripper based system, and for those particular jobs (mainly just import -> reg -> export in Scene), I know what might've taken days before took minutes or hours.

So i CAN say that the system preforms remarkably, and that I am quite happy using it. How it stands up against older hardware, not so much. I'd be happy to provide some data or answer any questions you guys have.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
sheartab
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Sheartab
Company Details: Arch Eng Design Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by sheartab »

fillway wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm and for those particular jobs (mainly just import -> reg -> export in Scene), I know what might've taken days before took minutes or hours.
Can you elaborate on the type of project, number of scan files, etc? I scan multi story buildings that often have over 1000 scans per location. Any time-saver is worth it when dealing with fast-paced design firms!
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

fillway wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm
I have a Threadripper 1950x with 2 1080 Ti's, 128 GB DDR4, 1TB m.2 HDD,
Which motherboard are you using?
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

dhirota wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:23 am
fillway wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm
I have a Threadripper 1950x with 2 1080 Ti's, 128 GB DDR4, 1TB m.2 HDD,
Which motherboard are you using?
Asus Zenith Extreme
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

sheartab wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:39 pm
fillway wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm and for those particular jobs (mainly just import -> reg -> export in Scene), I know what might've taken days before took minutes or hours.
Can you elaborate on the type of project, number of scan files, etc? I scan multi story buildings that often have over 1000 scans per location. Any time-saver is worth it when dealing with fast-paced design firms!
I have used the system on all types of scan jobs, including some combining the interior/exterior of large buildings here in SF, processed mainly using Scene or ReCap. The large amount of RAM and super fast storage really help to speed up many of the stages, and there are times throughout the workflow where both programs will take full advantage of the processor (approx. 90-95% CPU usage while in Threadripper's "Creator Mode" set through Ryzen Master app) as well.

Without timing stages of your normal workflow on both of our systems, it is pretty much impossible for me to give you any hard data to compare. On one particular dataset we had running on both the Threadripper system and a top of the line Razer Blade Pro with an external 1080 Ti connected, it would be hard to even get up and make a coffee between stages on the Threadripper, whereas on the Blade Pro you could go out and have lunch and it would still be working on it. We never timed it though.

I'd be happy to run a smaller subset of data from one of your jobs just so you can get an idea of how much it will speed your post work. I would go with a section you know will tie perfectly, time it on your system, and I will do the same on my end, and compare the results. We can then post those results for other members here to review.

I will also note that we offer processing services for those who have more post work than they can handle. While not all of our systems are based on the Threadripper platform, our deliverables are still top notch. We have several people here on LSF who have gone with our services in the past, and can provide references if need be.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

sheartab wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:39 pm Can you elaborate on the type of project, number of scan files, etc? I scan multi story buildings that often have over 1000 scans per location. Any time-saver is worth it when dealing with fast-paced design firms!
I have quite easily loaded 250+ scans into RAM on this particular system.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi fillway,
Thank you for your input on this thread... ;)
Can you tell me:
  • Are you using WIN10 Pro?
  • What hard disks or SSD`s are you using? and how have you configured them partition wise, if any, for data processing?
Many thanks,
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”