AMD Ryzen Threadripper

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
sheartab
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Sheartab
Company Details: Arch Eng Design Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper

Post by sheartab »

Jason Warren wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 pm Hi fillway,
Thank you for your input on this thread... ;)
Can you tell me:
  • Are you using WIN10 Pro?
  • What hard disks or SSD`s are you using? and how have you configured them partition wise, if any, for data processing?
Many thanks,

x2! Great questions!

I'd also add another: if you were to build out a new machine today, what would you go with?
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by fillway »

Can you tell me:
  • What hard disks or SSD`s are you using? and how have you configured them partition wise, if any, for data processing?
Many thanks,
Yep, Win 10 Pro, and a 1Tb Samsung 960 Pro m.2 as well as a 500 Gb Samsung 860 Pro over SATA. I also have a large 8 Bay Synology NAS connected for "cold" storage.

I also have several large, fast Corsair flash drives to transfer data to different systems quickly if need be, and Resilio Sync in conjunction with VNC and VPN's keep everything else in working order across systems and locations.
Last edited by fillway on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

sheartab wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:15 pm x2! Great questions!

I'd also add another: if you were to build out a new machine today, what would you go with?
Without budget limits? The 2990 WX and the 2080 Ti RTX of course!

what can I say, I'm a sucker for cutting edge.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

fillway wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:51 pm
Can you tell me:
Many thanks,
Yep, Win 10 Pro, and a 1Tb Samsung 960 Pro m.2 as well as a 500 Gb Samsung 860 Pro over SATA. I also have a large 8 Bay Synology NAS connected for "cold" storage.

I also have several large, fast Corsair flash drives to transfer data to different systems quickly if need be, and Resilio Sync in conjunction with VNC and VPN's keep everything else in working order across systems and locations.
That is a seriously nice setup! What point cloud software packages are you currently running on this and where do you find are the processing bottlenecks?
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

smacl wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:37 am That is a seriously nice setup! What point cloud software packages are you currently running on this and where do you find are the processing bottlenecks?
Thank you!
There are over 20 different programs related to point clouds I use or have used on the system, I can give you a full list if you really want them. Pointools, Scene, Cyclone, Premiere, Lightroom, Photoshop, Revit, Maya, Unreal, Unity, Steam, Oculus, Potree, Capturing Reality, AutoCAD, Euclideon's suite, and Handbrake, to name a few, often with many of those open at the same time. The only REAL bottleneck might be the speed of the RAM, as you can get faster now, but faster RAM did not even exist when I built it, nor was it particularly stable until recently. If you have 10 gigabit Ethernet hooked up (it comes out of the box on both the Synology and the Zenith Extreme) you will never run out of storage either, and have no real reason to run spinning disks in the machine.

It suffered from some BSOD issues related to the 960 Pro's firmware for a while, the BSOD's seemed to come around out of the blue and were difficult to diagnose because they were also related to particular versions of Windows that are always being pushed out. So if you build a similar system, make sure you do all driver updates AND firmware updates for ALL your components, and they will play nice with each other. On Win10 you want to leave updates on because of all the security vulnerabilities constantly being found.

The problem with those BSOD's was that memory was unable to dump anywhere (because memory would crash), making it kinda tricky to solve. After they were cleared up, I could not be happier with it. It has been rock solid stable, runs cool, (it's all watercooled, but with factory parts [usually 2x EVGA 1080 Ti FTW 3 Hybrid's, and a NZXT Kraken v2]) and it has a 5+ year warranty on many of the components.

I have had the system run stable for weeks at 98% with 3 GPU's in it when crypto mining would generate a large profit, and it never went over 50 degrees due to the water cooling those cards provided out of the box. I only had it mining at 98% available hashrate because those last 2% were for 1080p streams in the background while I worked from a laptop. It still achieved better hashrates than advertised on any forum I've read, and it was hooked up to 2 4k monitors. It really is remarkable what the system is capable of. I would say if your income is mainly generated from being on the computer, and working as fast as possible means more income for you or your business, it is absolutely worth every penny. I have it paired up with some nice monitors, a good keyboard / mouse, and it is overall a joy to work on. Most of the time, it's running as fast as I can think.

TL:DR:
That gushing aside, it will get maxed out (91-95%) during some particular operations done on an individual scan during the standard workflow in both Scene and ReCap Pro. It will just spike up there for a few seconds, and then the CPU utilization is so low I sometimes question if it's even doing anything.

On truly massive projects, of course, you will eventually run out of RAM, but I normally have it load an entire project into RAM at once, and haven't run into that problem, yet. There is also the factor that some programs just aren't built to run on systems like this, so it may be overkill in some cases
Last edited by fillway on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

This is what happens when you score a dual Xeon DELL and re-build!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

ericguizzetti wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 am
Nice!!

If anyone wants the part's list for my particular build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/XN9J7P

The build before case mod to accommodate the second rad above the RAM heatsinks:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fillway on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ericguizzetti »

fillway wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:12 pm
ericguizzetti wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 am
Nice!!

If anyone wants the part's list for my particular build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/fillway/builds/

The build before case mod to accommodate the second rad above the RAM heatsinks:
Is that a threadripper? the processor looks smaller than I expected in that case.
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

ericguizzetti wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:28 am
Is that a threadripper? the processor looks smaller than I expected in that case.
Yep! 1950x
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by ericguizzetti »

amazing! after I sell the my dual core system I'm saving for a threadripper 2. 2grand is hard for a small fry like me.

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”