Introducing Scan-Eye

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Introducing Scan-Eye

Post by sreed »

Well congratulations Jonathan! This is really great. I just spent some time exploring your site. Sounds like your Christmas offering was snatched up as fast as the Amazon Echo this season! Best to you and Scan-Eye for 2017 and beyond.
-S.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

Looking forward to seeing the Scan-Eye basic workflow video... ;)
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Working on it. Need to hire Eugene to make it, since he has the best voice for it. I will also upload an excel spreadsheet to assist in preparation of the coordinates obtained from the total station.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

It's great to see these make it out of the lab, I know they've been cooking for a couple of years.

The best tools always come out of production and I think these could be useful for a lot of people. Honestly, I'm a little surprised nobody has tried to produce something similar commercially before.

Best of luck in the New Year.
Jed
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Thanks Jed :D
Honestly, I'm a little surprised nobody has tried to produce something similar commercially before.
Me too!

There are a few different things that are very much like it. You can buy scanner height prisms that mount to tribrachs, and also there is the point-cab register gear. Like anything else in this industry, these are just different tools with different functionality, for certain types of projects. Not for everybody.
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hi Jonathan,

how it works with the accuarcies of scaneye ? My friends from pointcab was working on a similar workflow. They had 2 small spheres on the scanner tripod based and 1 sphere as orientation on distance. The idea was, to make it 100% automatic. Operator only caperturing the sphere position by totalstation, put it in the software, registration will be done automatic from the software, ready.

The development people struggle with the registration from points, which was about 20 meter far from scanner. The 2 spheres on the tripod was pretty close to recalculate the scanner position from that geometry. With an 100 mm sphere for the orientation, the distance between scanner and this orientation points (sphere with prism) is very close for outside scanning (10 meters ??).

Also with this minimal numbers of commend points (scanner position and 1 orientation), there is no way to make a post adjustment to get better results. Means finaly, for far objects show incorrectly overlay after registration different scan togehter. PointCab people close this development topic, because they was interested to make a 100% cool, new, safe development for a big customer group. There was to much mathematic issues, which wasn`t working well in practice. It was working, we sales same of this solution with pointcab register and this customer was happy, because it fit for them perfect for them specificly application.

For indoor registration is the workflow from local points together same points from totalstation points better, because it is much less work as survey each point with totalstation. I think for scanning a long outside object, like a road or channel, is the scaneye workflow a good idea.

I know, that your workflow is a little bit different in post processing. Would be nice to get same expierence from you.
pointcab_register_small.jpg
Here is a link to see our old development in action.

http://www.pointcab-software.com/pointcab-register/

We develop later a bigger 145 mm sphere with prism inside. same links here.

http://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/La ... m-diameter

youtu.be/_nVPx_3SZHA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

Is this a similar workflow to the Amberg Positioning Method...
Capture.PNG

youtu.be/zVRjOTAyuTQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Sorry for the delayed response guys. I had to concentrate on adding information to the website which helps to answer many of the questions. I added a few videos that show the simplest of workflows: http://www.scan-eye.com/tutorial

Phil,

To answer your question first...yes it is similar to the Amberg method in that the position and orientation of each scan is acquired via a total station, but there are some obvious differences hardware and software used. I really like how the Amberg solution is live registered in the field. The Scan-Eye workflow does not current support true field registration, but the registration time in the office is severely reduced. We have registered numerous projects involving hundreds of scans each in a matter of minutes.

Eric,

Explaining the accuracies is obviously not a simple subject as there are so many factors to consider, but I agree with everything you said. I met the Point-Cab people at Spar last year and even talked about Scan-Eye with them. I find the solution with Point-Cab and the Laser Scanning Europe hardware to be quite elegant. The problem of resolving the small position and orientation errors between scans that are common to positioning with a total station is difficult, and it is amazing that the Point-Cab people were able to find a way to automate it! I also like the fact that the Laser Scanning Europe hardware uses a large diameter true 0 offset(constant) prisms so that the prisms don't necessarily need to be point directly back at the total station. At this point, all Scan-Eye prisms are just simple 0 offset prisms that need to be pointed back to the total station.

Because there is no Scan-Eye software and most registration software does not have a specific Scan-Eye workflow or ability to combine both targeted and cloud to cloud registration we have no way to resolve or adjust some of the minor errors that can occur in the field. We have found that we can supplement or repair the registration of individual scans through picking points or cloud to cloud registration to the surrounding scans, but it is far from the ideal solution.

When talking about accuracy and error there are many contributing factors, so in the near future I hope to produce either a diagram or a video that explains main sources of error in more depth.

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”