New Workstation

CAD Workstations, Network Attached Storage [NAS], Servers, Monitors, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Field Kit: Targets & Tripods etc.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: New Workstation

Post by smacl »

jamesworrell wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:57 am
Damien3D wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 pm There doesn't seem to be anything available off the shelf for this kind of applications, right?
Dell Alienware ..
A client of mine got an Alienware box on my recommendation a couple of months ago and is getting on well with it. Threadripper 1950x, 64mb ram, 2x1080ti graphics, 2x1TB SSD, 2x8GB HDD, gold rated PSU. Came in at about €7k from memory and gave better price/performance than their precision workstation range. Personally, I'd tend to build my own and find sites like PCPartPicker really good for figuring out what you can get for your money.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

It is a good turn key solution. Don’t buy via web, see if you can get to an account exec and haggle - can usually wrangle double ram or better graphics or something. I usually save about 25% from web pricing.

Three year on-site warranty is always a good option.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

smacl wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:37 am
Personally, I'd tend to build my own and find sites like PCPartPicker really good for figuring out what you can get for your money.
Interesting build on PCPartPicker - Pure Function - BIM Workstation - Best You Can Buy
The main purpose of this system is to process laser scan data from a Leica RTC360 scanner using Lecia Cyclone software. Then work with the data sets in Autodesk Recap and Navisworks.

Web link: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/93kdnQ
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO

Post by fillway »

Jason Warren wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 am
smacl wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:37 am
Personally, I'd tend to build my own and find sites like PCPartPicker really good for figuring out what you can get for your money.
Interesting build on PCPartPicker - Pure Function - BIM Workstation - Best You Can Buy
One word of caution building your own system- if it is your first time doing so- please don't try to build your own watercooling. Just buy something from NXZT or a similar company that will come with a nice 5 year + warranty. While it looks really cool to have a custom rig like that, going with an off the shelf solution doesn't carry nearly the same risk of spraying the internals of your newly purchased $7000 rendering rig with glowing green stuff ;).
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

fillway wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 pmOne word of caution building your own system- if it is your first time doing so- please don't try to build your own watercooling. Just buy something from NXZT or a similar company that will come with a nice 5 year + warranty. While it looks really cool to have a custom rig like that, going with an off the shelf solution doesn't carry nearly the same risk of spraying the internals of your newly purchased $7000 rendering rig with glowing green stuff ;).
Agreed, even though I've had a few self builds in recent years I tend to use air cooling and big cases with well planned out airflow. If you're not stuck for space, there's also a lot of advantages in having more than one workstation with a remote control where you have individual tasks that are very time consuming. You can build a very decent workhorse for about €2k that do a lot of tedious background processing without clogging up your main rig. You can spend a lot of money on an overclocked build to get a theoretical 10-15% extra performance where putting that money into an extra rig gives you far less downtime for very many workflows.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by scankukai »

Yes, or you can rent the super calculator we have here at the "Ecole Centrale de Nantes":

https://www.ec-nantes.fr/research-facil ... 8875130049

Check the bottom of the page for specs :-)
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

smacl wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:51 am
fillway wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 pmOne word of caution building your own system- if it is your first time doing so- please don't try to build your own watercooling. Just buy something from NXZT or a similar company that will come with a nice 5 year + warranty. While it looks really cool to have a custom rig like that, going with an off the shelf solution doesn't carry nearly the same risk of spraying the internals of your newly purchased $7000 rendering rig with glowing green stuff ;).
Agreed, even though I've had a few self builds in recent years I tend to use air cooling and big cases with well planned out airflow. If you're not stuck for space, there's also a lot of advantages in having more than one workstation with a remote control where you have individual tasks that are very time consuming. You can build a very decent workhorse for about €2k that do a lot of tedious background processing without clogging up your main rig. You can spend a lot of money on an overclocked build to get a theoretical 10-15% extra performance where putting that money into an extra rig gives you far less downtime for very many workflows.
Agreed.
If you can afford a good laptop along with your desktop and use Teamviewer (or other VNC-like software of your choosing) to remote in, you can get other tasks done without the risk of causing any instability on your workstation. Software is good enough these days that you can almost always get away with doing other tasks on a workstation while you have something processing in the background, but every so often I've seen programs crash that probably wouldn't have if I had just left the machine alone.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by fillway »

Also, check out Resilio Sync. I am a big fan of this software for transferring large datasets to different machines or up to back up servers. This was a huge help during a recent large project we had to get done using ReCap. ReCap kept crashing and we were spending hours re-doing work, so we finally started using "save as", zipping the file, then transferring that file up to our NAS for safe keeping. That way we had the working file, a zipped copy, and another copy of the zipped file up on our NAS. Saved us a few times.

If you do employ Resilio Sync or another syncing solution, make sure you copy files out of the synced folder to work on it. The syncing process will change permissions to folders and will cause programs to crash if it tries to sync the folder containing the file(s) you're currently working with.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
Origin.KR
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Kyle Rothwell
Company Details: Origin 4n6
Company Position Title: Tech

Post by Origin.KR »

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.pugetsystems.com

I recently stumbled upon this company and realized what a value this could be for someone looking to get the best performance out of a work station. These guys are legit. The site is also chalk full with articles and scientific data as it relates to computer productivity and performance.

Enjoy 8-)
lukefowler
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Luke Fowler
Company Details: ScanTech Digital
Company Position Title: Director

Post by lukefowler »

Apologies for being a bit late (and slightly off topic) for this thread.

But I am looking to buy a new Mobile Workstation for processing large point cloud data sets and cannot decide between:

HP ZBook 17 G5
Dell Precision 7730
or
Alienware M15 (I know this is a gaming laptop but it seems to have all the specs for a better price?)

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Return to “Other Hardware: Field & Back Office”