New Workstation

Total Stations, CAD Workstations, SSD`s, Imaging Systems, Targets & Tripods Etc.
smacl
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: New Workstation

Post by smacl » Fri May 10, 2019 8:56 am

Origin.KR wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 am
I recently stumbled upon this company and realized what a value this could be for someone looking to get the best performance out of a work station.
Have been looking around at pre-built versus self build myself recently and have decided to go ahead with self build once again with this Threadripper build. Starting off on 64gb and modest enough 2060 GPU so plenty of room for expansion there. Given what AMD are doing in terms of drop-in upgrades for the next gen Ryzen processors, I'm quite hopeful the same will be true of next gen Threadrippers. I quite enjoy putting PCs together so am biased, but self build seems to be where the best value is to be had in this part of the world.

Wags
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Wayne Wagner
Company Details: Unlimited Image Inc
Company Position Title: New Product Development
Skype Name: wags

Post by Wags » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:49 am

my computer info
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oatfedgoat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Oatfedgoat » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:04 am

Whilst it isn't a work PC, last summer my son and I built him a gaming PC.

It's been quite a few years since I was up to date with components and spec but by far the best value investment to improve performance was using an M2 nvme drive instead of an old fashioned SSD.
Windows now loads in about 5 seconds after power on and copy speeds are around 3gb/second.

Granted these arent yet bargain basement prices but a 1tb Samsung 970 pro is around £275, with the 970 Evo Plus at £200. A 2tb 970 Evo plus is around £450 if you need more space.
As most modern motherboards have slots for 2 of these bad boys it's possible to add them on a medium budget.

Plus for those with cable management OCD ( I see a few here in this thread) it means you don't need a sata power or data cable as the drives just slot straight into the mobo.

smacl
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:09 am

Oatfedgoat wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:04 am
Granted these arent yet bargain basement prices but a 1tb Samsung 970 pro is around £275, with the 970 Evo Plus at £200. A 2tb 970 Evo plus is around £450 if you need more space.
As most modern motherboards have slots for 2 of these bad boys it's possible to add them on a medium budget.
For bargain basement, Crucial 1TB NVMe comes at about third of the price with the 970 72% faster, see https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/S ... 8vsm607339

As with all these things, you really need to carry out your own analysis to see where the bottlenecks lie, which is always going to be software dependent. On SCC, we have minimal disk access between loading and saving the model, and if you look at translations between import/export formats such as E57, they tend to be bottlenecked primarily by single core performance rather than disk speed once you're not on a slow HDD or network drive.

remiscs
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Anthony Remis
Company Details: Remis Computer Solutions
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by remiscs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:13 pm

NVME drives are nice to the point that even on budget builds I still use them. The Crucial P1 NVME does really well especially for it's price but I would probably caution using it for scans due to endurance. Another thing, once cache fills up it basically is at normal SSD speeds unlike something like the 970 pro. I hope to test them in RAID 0 on the newer high point NVME RAID cards for fun though. At $100 each why not.

Return to “Other Hardware”