Traveler Spheres Vs FARO spheres accuracy comparison

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
alexis.duban
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Alexis Duban
Company Details: 3C Metal ME
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Traveler Spheres Vs FARO spheres accuracy comparison

Post by alexis.duban »

Hello,

Has anyone already compared the accuracy of Traveler Spheres Vs accuracy of classic FARO (or other) kind of spheres? (of course comparison at equal distance and Dia, using the same scanner and same settings)

[img]C:\Users\3cm%20049\Downloads\Sphere.jpg[/img]

I am a bit concern of the fact that dismountable spheres are not perfectly spherical at connection location...

Thanks!
Alexis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexis Duban
Structural Engineer at 3CMetal (structure&piping in Oil&Gaz industry)
[email protected]
http://www.3cmetal.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC71oZXimjJ17uH6Z0ZK7fxA
tadol
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tad Laird
Company Details: Koppa Target Spheres
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Traveler Spheres Vs FARO spheres accuracy comparison

Post by tadol »

I've not done specific testing to compare against our 150mm spheres, but our 144mm travel spheres have been checked and found to be quite accurate with just the one seam at the "equator". While that seam is a bit larger than the body of the sphere, with the point averaging used it should not throw the center location off by a measurable amount. My feeling is that our travel spheres are a good choice if you want to carry a large number of spheres in a very limited space - especially if you don't routinely use large numbers of spheres. I equate them to most other items designed specifically for travel - there is a bit of a compromise to gain a savings in size and weight. Whether that works for you is something only you can determine, but I have sold a substantial number of our travel targets to people working in a number of diffferent markets, without any problems. Many have bought multiple sets. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions -
http://www.KoppaTargets.com
Inexpensive Laser Scanning Targets & Accessories
for Architecture, Engineering, & Forensics
"We're right on targets!"
alexis.duban
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Alexis Duban
Company Details: 3C Metal ME
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by alexis.duban »

Thanks for your answer Tad

I am probably going to ask you a quote on the coming days :)
Alexis Duban
Structural Engineer at 3CMetal (structure&piping in Oil&Gaz industry)
[email protected]
http://www.3cmetal.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC71oZXimjJ17uH6Z0ZK7fxA
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hello Alexis,

our spheres are built after DIN2768-m and ISO 2768 and we proof our product`s with metrology devices.
We will present same general facts in future, but before we have to know, which accuracies you means ?

Roundness of sphere, deviation of diameter or how the adapter axis is coincident with the sphere center. How is the material behavior by temperature change?
I can give you following information, traveler has lowest temperature influence, because it is built by cfk material. This material has a lower temperature coefficient as all most typically plastic material (PA, PE, POM or ABS), like the original once. The roundness accuracies is little bit less as the original one (might be 0.1 mm) but approx. 10 better as the range accuracies of a standard laser scanner. That means, that the sphere accuracies has influence against zero to your registration results.

We have more measurements for different sphere types in house, but in case of the definition of accuracies, i can`t publish this here.
If you need more information, please send us an email: [email protected], private message or contact our local mea reseller mena 3D.

..Eric
Oxbow
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Bergholz
Company Details: Laserscanning Europe
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: eboxbow

Post by Oxbow »

Hello Alexis,

our spheres are built after DIN2768-m and ISO 2768 and we proof our product`s with metrology devices.
We will present same general facts in future, because we have to know, which accuracies you means.

Roundness of sphere, deviation of diameter or how the adapter axis is coincident with the sphere center. How is the material behavior by temperature change?
I can give you following information, traveler has lowest temperature influence, because it is built by cfk material. This material has a lower temperature coefficient as all most typically plastic material (PA, PE, POM or ABS), like the original once. The roundness accuracies is little bit less as the original one (might be 0.1 mm) but approx., but 10 better as the range accuracies of a standard laser scanner. That means, that the sphere accuracies has influence against zero to your registration results.

We have more measurements for different sphere types in house, but in case of the definition of accuracies, i can`t publish this here.
If you need more information, please send us an email: [email protected], private message or contact our local mea reseller mena 3D.

..Eric

Return to “Any Other Issues”