On-site scanner security by the hour/day

Please post discussions that do not fit into any other category.
callidus
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: andrew
Company Details: Callidus Surveys
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

On-site scanner security by the hour/day

Post by callidus »

Hi All,

Does anyone ever use a security contractor to help guard scanning equipment while on site? (Looking at you, East London...! :x)

I think I'd be looking for day-by-day muscle hire with a good pair of eyes. One good fella should do it.

Who do you use?
Daily fees?
Feel free to share your experiences.

Thanks.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: On-site scanner security by the hour/day

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Sad evolution that you have to work like this. Can't you bring a colleague with you?

When scanning i'm always at the instrument. If targets are needed i would stick them up before. Rest is c2c as always.

Now i must say i also wouldn't go in certain parts of Brussels alone scanning. They nick your undies while you're there
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

callidus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:41 am Hi All,

Does anyone ever use a security contractor to help guard scanning equipment while on site? (Looking at you, East London...! :x)

I think I'd be looking for day-by-day muscle hire with a good pair of eyes. One good fella should do it.

Who do you use?
Daily fees?

Thanks.
That's what Assistants and Trainees are for...cheaper than Security personnel. That said, our only two kit thefts were from unmarked, locked vehicles, in public car parks, with CCTV coverage...in East London.
callidus
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by callidus »

sim.herrod wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:09 pm That's what Assistants and Trainees are for...cheaper than Security personnel. That said, our only two kit thefts were from unmarked, locked vehicles, in public car parks, with CCTV coverage...in East London.
We've had some very physical confrontations with thieves in the past. I cannot ask my surveyors to get involved physically - I have a duty of care. On a large project on a council estate in East London I'm happy to include a security fee with the quotation. Losing a particular project is an easier cross to bare than losing another scanner.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

callidus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm
We've had some very physical confrontations with thieves in the past. I cannot ask my surveyors to get involved physically - I have a duty of care. On a large project on a council estate in East London I'm happy to include a security fee with the quotation. Losing a particular project is an easier cross to bare than losing another scanner.
You're quite right, and my comment was very much tongue-in-cheek.

If you want 'proper' security, you'll need someone with an SIA license (https://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/home.aspx). There may be Insurance company requirements for any staff you employ in a security role, so worth checking with them about your policy details.

Even with fully licensed security staff, you're always going to have the problem of how willing to potentially get hurt is that person if they are confronted. Unlike your staff, they have no real loyalty to your company beyond what you're willing to pay them.

I used to own pubs, and I knew our door men would always look after our staff, and back me up, but I always paid them over the going rate. Think we were paying them around £25p/h back in the early 2000's when minimum wage was less than £5p/h.

Always go for an established security company, and always get references for both the company and the individual.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

sim.herrod wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:09 pm
callidus wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:41 am Hi All,

Who do you use?
Daily fees?

Thanks.

That's what Assistants and Trainees are for...cheaper than Security personnel. That said, our only two kit thefts were from unmarked, locked vehicles, in public car parks, with CCTV coverage...in East London.
As mentioned, it isn't the surveyors duty to put their safety at risk, imagine a trainee saying "that's what insurance is for" after dropping your scanner!

My old company in the UK had two surveyors assaulted physically on separate occasions, one while trying to stop the theft. I have had a TS stolen whilst working one man in an Argos car park at 1pm! the worst thing was, the local police were doing a promo next door and had a stand set up! If you like, I can find out who my old company use as I know they started to use a private security firm in high risk areas
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

I’m so happy I’m in Canada 🇨🇦. Worst I have had stole was a spherical target at the was at the international airport for Vancouver.

That said when it comes to the RTC360, if the scanning tech needs help I go. Balled and at 6’4” 285lb tends to keep most scrupulous people away. I also don’t go around saying how much it’s worth lol.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
callidus
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by callidus »

stutosney wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:40 am If you like, I can find out who my old company use as I know they started to use a private security firm in high risk areas
Can't hurt to see who others are using. Thanks.

Return to “Any Other Issues”