Scanning shallow water

Share videos from your recent projects here.
sirodders209
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Rodney Knight
Company Details: Aquaknight Industries Ltd
Company Position Title: Aquaknight Industries Ltd

Scanning shallow water

Post by sirodders209 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:28 am

Hi everybody, I have just joined this forum, so new to all this! I have a need to scan small bodies of water (2m x 2m x 25mm deep maximum size). To complicate matters it will be raining (think inside a shower). This will be done in a controlled environment at our facility.

I have no experience with scanning, so zero knowledge (easy on the acronyms please :D ).
Looking for the correct hardware and advice as to wether the gathered data can be imported into SolidWorks.

Thank you in advance.

tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: WeWork
Company Position Title: Head of Reality Capture
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning shallow water

Post by tbwester » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Leica C10 will get some points through water. Not exactly sure what your trying to measure under the water?

sirodders209
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Rodney Knight
Company Details: Aquaknight Industries Ltd
Company Position Title: Aquaknight Industries Ltd

Post by sirodders209 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 am

tbwester wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm
Leica C10 will get some points through water. Not exactly sure what your trying to measure under the water?
Thank you for your comment & allow me to clarify: we are in the shower & shower drain business. I want to scan a shower tray, then turn on the water & measure the water gathering at the drain point to establish ponding at various flow rates. (It may sound frivolous but this needs doing.)

If penetrating the water is a problem, would a simple comparison between the two scans give me what I want? If so, would the worst water-penetrating system be the best solution?

jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:24 am

Lasers and water .. probably not the best combo .. structure light won't work ..

Save yourself a few bucks .. series of vertical "flood gauges" (however many positions you want to measure) and a video camera(s) .. freeze frame .. read depths at a time offset. Clock with milliseconds running in the background to sync measurements/frames.

You could measure the positions of the flood gauges (or pan under them) with a digital level and/or total station depending on how keen you are.

Can then record that as a simple x,y,z and punch it into a CAD program (CSV file etc) to create surfaces for volume calcs.

You might want baffles or something to "level" the water ..

If you want to get fancies/pricier - and have to do this regularly - therfore want something more automated .. radar is the one option that comes to mind .. there are certainly liquid measuring radar units out there. No idea what they are worth ..

First hit on google: https://www.vega.com/en/radar/Liquids

tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: WeWork
Company Position Title: Head of Reality Capture

Post by tbwester » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:48 pm

sirodders209 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 am
tbwester wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm
Thank you for your comment & allow me to clarify: we are in the shower & shower drain business. I want to scan a shower tray, then turn on the water & measure the water gathering at the drain point to establish ponding at various flow rates. (It may sound frivolous but this needs doing.)

If penetrating the water is a problem, would a simple comparison between the two scans give me what I want? If so, would the worst water-penetrating system be the best solution?
A laser scanner is not the appropriate instrument for your need i dont think.

Return to “Video Gallery”