Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: 5010 Nodal Ninja Rig

Post by Jamesrye » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm

That is interesting, I'll have to dig out the old camera kit and give it a go again sometime. There are instances (heritage applications) where we use the internal camera on a P40 for the higher resolution. I had heard that stitching of panoramics to the point cloud can be done from ninja derived panos, do you use ptgui to create the panos?

Formula1982
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Stephen Ferrari
Company Details: UTEC StarNet Geomatics
Company Position Title: Technical Lead

Re: 5010 Nodal Ninja Rig

Post by Formula1982 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Jamesrye wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm
That is interesting, I'll have to dig out the old camera kit and give it a go again sometime. There are instances (heritage applications) where we use the internal camera on a P40 for the higher resolution. I had heard that stitching of panoramics to the point cloud can be done from ninja derived panos, do you use ptgui to create the panos?
Yes, that's our normal workflow. We use ptgui and import straight into cyclone to auto stitch to the point cloud.
So long as the settings are right on the ninja bracket, they stitch perfectly. And depending on the capabilities of the camera you're using it with, you can get very high quality, very high resolution images (much higher resolution than you'd probably ever need).
One other thing I like is a practical one for the surveyor. It's using a DSLR, so they get to see exactly what they're taking a photo of, then get a couple of seconds review of each shot while they rotate for the next. So the surveyor will know for sure if someone stepped out from behind a wall and got in the shot, or if the shot is a bit under/overexposed and can correct it and re-take the shot a second later. It makes it easy to know you've got a good overall dataset. In total, a set of ninja photos takes about 2 minutes. We use things like the Spheron or Lizard Q if we want really, really good 360 photos, but the jump up in price to those types of kit is prohibitive for most, and also for most unnecessary.

Return to “Z+F”