V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: FARO Focus 3D S120 Rebooting loop problem

Post by Scott »

geek_IM wrote: In any case, long story short I ninja-ed in to the machine and updated the firmware myself. Instantly came back to life, haven't had a problem since. Except that the SD card in the scanner at the time bit the dust.
Good luck
'Ninja-ed' workaround -please post full details!
ARGAS
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Karol Argasinski
Company Details: BIMfaktoria
Company Position Title: BIM 3D Scanning
Skype Name: karolus44
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by ARGAS »

Scott wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 pm
geek_IM wrote: In any case, long story short I ninja-ed in to the machine and updated the firmware myself. Instantly came back to life, haven't had a problem since. Except that the SD card in the scanner at the time bit the dust.
Good luck
Dear All,

I am glad that this thread lives. I am also sad that this problem is happening to all of you. I am still haven't found a solution, how to overcome this sticky problem (we use secondary unit, because servicing for S120 is SO EXPENSIVE).
To geek_IM - If you have found a solution, please tell me how you've done it. It was a relief that you were able to do it by yourself! :o I want to do it too and make my S120 working again...

Best Regards to all of you,
Karol
--
BIMfaktoria - delivering pointclouds and SCAN2BIM models.

http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
https://www.facebook.com/BIMfaktoria
instagram: bimfaktoria
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

Scott wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 pm
Good luck
SOS...---...Just got the SD Card error after 25 scans...now the re-boot looping...---... : 'Ninja-ed' workaround -please post full details! ...---...
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.

Post by bdawood »

when I had the looping issue a year ago with my scanner, I had error massages before then regarding the SD card, I also had a firmware update too around the same time, anyway I sent it to be fixed and calibrated and surly the result was an SD card issue, it must be a patch of bad SD cards that was sold everywhere and effected the scanners at the time, now the minuet I see a massage that says that (SD card has been repaired) I change the SD card immediately.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

Wait a minute...

Scott, did you just have an SD card error or an Internal SD card error?

The first is not a real problem, just let the scanner repair and keep going. We experience this almosy everyday, because we are lazy and don't always eject the card from our computers correctly.

The second problem may require help from Faro support.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

jcoco3 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:50 pm Wait a minute...
Scott, did you just have an SD card error or an Internal SD card error?
The first is not a real problem, just let the scanner repair and keep going. We experience this almosy everyday, because we are lazy and don't always eject the card from our computers correctly.
The second problem may require help from Faro support.
I figured it was the SD 'card', and shut it down to swap it as is often done (glanced at it quickly). 29 scans were completed, the fan kicked in at 25 (I keep count) went four more until the error signal. You know how it is. I'll call on Monday and see if there is a simple fix... I'm still on Scene 5.5 and the closest firmware for that release, reluctant to mess with a stable Scene workflow and firmware release. Later 'upgrades' sounded interesting, but not what I needed (reliability).
Thanks!
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Jonathan,

I was having SD card error messages when I was deleting scans and writing new scans onto the same SD card. I switched a long time ago to saving the SD cards as an additional back up of the raw scans and do not get the error on fresh SD cards even when they are plugged into the computer many times to copy scans over and not ejecting them from the computer screen. I remember seeing somewhere that faro commented about the rebooting loop being a SD card glitch and wonder if the glitch is only when re writing on an SD card. I figured that it is cheap insurance to use fresh SD cards as opposed to sending the unit in for service due to the boot looping.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

WWilford wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 pm Jonathan,
I was having SD card error messages when I was deleting scans and writing new scans onto the same SD card. I switched a long time ago to saving the SD cards as an additional back up of the raw scans and do not get the error on fresh SD cards even when they are plugged into the computer many times to copy scans over and not ejecting them from the computer screen. I remember seeing somewhere that faro commented about the rebooting loop being a SD card glitch and wonder if the glitch is only when re writing on an SD card. I figured that it is cheap insurance to use fresh SD cards as opposed to sending the unit in for service due to the boot looping.
Interesting -what is the experience of others? I will say, that the scanner has worked quite reliably for years -probably do to luck, but also to handling the unit with care. I'd appreciate a clear explanation of what the looping most likely indicates -I doubt there will be any 'Black Monday' deals today... ~S
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

WWilford wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 pm Jonathan,

Yeah, I can see where the confusion is, and I hope to clear this up. I believe that reference to an "SD card glitch" has been mistaken as a problem with the external SD card, when they really meant to say internal SD card. I remember receiving a repair report from Faro a very long time ago that referenced an "internal SD card" when we had a boot issue. From what I currently believe, the external SD card(the card the scans are stored on) has absolutely nothing to do with any boot issues on the scanner and all errors reporting repair of the SD card are unrelated to boot issues. If others have had an issues where the scanner would not boot or boot loop due to a problem with the external SD card I would like to know about it, and I am sure Faro would too.

At this point you may be asking yourself why the scanner even warns you it has repaired the SD card(external) if it is not really that important and would not subsequently create a boot issue. I am of the view that it is a little unnecessary, but maybe it is Faro's way of informing us that we should probably take better care of the data structure that is on our SD cards(external) before we spend another day writing valuable scans to it. More on that here:https://lifehacker.com/5863810/do-i-rea ... oving-them
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott »

jcoco3 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:06 pm ...
Yeah, I can see where the confusion is, and I hope to clear this up. I believe that reference to an "SD card glitch" has been mistaken as a problem with the external SD card, when they really meant to say internal SD card. I remember receiving a repair report from Faro a very long time ago that referenced an "internal SD card" when we had a boot issue. From what I currently believe, the external SD card(the card the scans are stored on) has absolutely nothing to do with any boot issues on the scanner and all errors reporting repair of the SD card are unrelated to boot issues. If others have had an issues where the scanner would not boot or boot loop due to a problem with the external SD card I would like to know about it, and I am sure Faro would too.
Though I thought that the error/warning referred to the 'external SD' card, I agree with Jonathan that it was the 'internal' memory hardware that likely tripped the warning -not the external SD card -which I never pull out without first shutting down the unit properly. None on my raw data was lost or corrupted -except, of course, for the last scan position. It's an internal issue, probably hardware failure.~S

Return to “FARO”