V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Simple External Camera Mount for Faro Focus

Post by WWilford »

Hello Dave,

I was working out of the country and saw this yesterday. I sent an email to your company if you are still in need.

Thank you,

Warren
davecrossley
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: David Crossley
Company Details: Siteline Ltd
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by davecrossley »

Hi Warren

Thank you for the reply, I didn't see anything come in by email - please could you send again to [email protected]

cheers

Dave
JesusR
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Jesus Rodero
Company Details: Global Scan 3D
Company Position Title: Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by JesusR »

Hi all, pro-scanner technician ;)
I 've been working with a similar gadget. A 360º pan socket for DSRL camera after the scanning. Heigth and nodal point were calculated to avoid parallax as possible, and fixed focal distance. The pictures are taken with about 40-50% overlap in order to merged in PTGui to get an unique seamless photo. The main trouble that I find is when I try to apply a pan photo to point cloud in Scene. I pick several points in the PTGui pan as usual and then the result is... horrible!!! The photo is superdistorted and the point cloud seems an abstract painting. However, if I register each photo 1 to 1 the result is pretty good, few error pixel but with colour seam among photos.

I don't mind to apply colour to point cloud individual photos (however it's very very tedious) but the point clouds show an ugly colour seam break, due to different ligth conditions. The question is: How do you apply a PTGui 360 pan photo to a point cloud in Scene without error?, how many control points and how are they distributed along the photo?

I think there is something that I am doing wrong but sure you can help me. Thank you in advance,

Jesús
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Jesús, yes it is a painful process in Scene, but 6 to 9 points will usually do it. I would bet that your problem is simply that you forgot to open the imported image's properties and check "spherical" prior picking points. It is an obscure setting that is easy to miss :)
JesusR
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by JesusR »

Dear Jonathan,

I try your suggestion and...voilà! works!!!. Effectively, when I import the pan photo from PTGui I markt the spherical in propertties. Then I mark only 9 points and the point cloud is colorized perfectly with a error of few pixels. The only matter than I don't know is why the zenith of the point cloud is not colorized, if the pan image has zenith as I can see in Panotour i.e.

1) Point cloud colorized without zenith

2) Original PTGui pano

3) Scene planar view after point cloud colorized

Thank you Jonathan. It is very nice to work with people than you in this forum.

Jesús
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Ah, glad to see some results :) Not sure why the zenith is missing. It sounds like you are certain that it was actually captured with your camera setup, so I am at a loss for an explanation.
JesusR
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by JesusR »

don't worry Johnatan. I'll look into that matter and if I get some solution I'll tell in this forum. I hope somebody can help us too. Thank you again.

Jesus
JesusR
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by JesusR »

Hi everyone,

I found the trouble with non-zenith colorized point cloud (I think so). The origin of the problem it is the PTGui pan. When we create the panoram we should click on "set optimus size".

Previously, I saved the pan fitting it to the size (h x w pixels) of the picture exported from Scene in planar view. In this case, the point cloud is not colorized at its zenith. While if the pan is saved picking the "set optimum size" all point cloud is colorized.

It seems that when we save the pan with the same h x w pixels that planar view image (forcing the size in PTGui), there is a little cut of the image and then some row of pixels is missing for further to apply colour to the point cloud.

I hope to help you. Best regards,

Jesus
wgrimes
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Wesley Grimes
Company Details: Collision Engineering Associates Inc.
Company Position Title: President - engineer

Post by wgrimes »

I wish there was a way to use a better camera....I don't know how knowing the offset helps reduce parallax....is there a setting someplace??

Has anyone thought about putting 2 small digital cameras on the side of the Faro.....left and right of the mirror slot. Taking photos from there would produce a 'stereo pair'.....while I have never done it, I am certain that some stereo photography app would allow you to produce a single image....which would have smaller parallax.

Crazy idea!!!

Our main challenge is having traffic in the images....which could be completely solved in Faro would allow you to make individual images or pause to wait for traffic.

Wes
IngSayyad
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: shahzad sayyad
Company Details: Ingenieurbuero Drecoll
Company Position Title: Entwicklungsingenieur
Skype Name: shah.baba_2012

Post by IngSayyad »

Our main challenge is having traffic in the images....which could be completely solved in Faro would allow you to make individual images or pause to wait for traffic.
I can n't understand why Faro is not providing a solution to capture only panoramic image with doing scan.

@ Jonathan,
with a error of few pixels
Can you give exact figure of few pixel. It can make huge difference for large distance.
Dr.-Ing. Shahzad Sayyad

Return to “FARO”