I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Johnny Draper
Company Details: Studio Castellano
Company Position Title: Site Surveyor

Failed scan processing on SCENE

Post by jmdrapes »

Hi all,

The company I work for has recently purchased the FARO Swift system which is comprised of the FARO ScanPlan and FARO s70. We have been solely using the s70 for the past few months with no hiccups in scanning or in SCENE. I have used the Swift now on-site a few times and the workflow is fast and straightforward. My only problem so far has been with processing these scans in SCENE. I am using the Swift plug-in and my trial is up to date (2022.2.0). I was thinking that perhaps the anchor scans that I took were too fast (5 seconds) or that there might be an issue with shared data between the two scanners.

If anyone has ideas as to what the issue could be I would greatly appreciate any insight.

I've included a screenshot of the failed processed scans on SCENE.

Thank you,

Johnny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JADominguez
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: José Antonio Domínguez
Company Details: Metromecanica
Company Position Title: Láser Scanner head of the project
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Failed scan processing on SCENE

Post by JADominguez »

Hi Johnny
Before processing all the scans, you have to pre-process the Swift scans so that it extracts all the anchor scans you have done on each mobile tract.
Unfortunately, the Swift pre-processing icon doesn't appear in version 2022.2.0; may be it did in earlier versions of 2022.x... not sure though. This seems to me to be a pretty serious mistake on Faro's part. I reported it 3-4 weeks ago to my local representatives but I am surprised this issue has not been remedied. Please guys from Faro take note of this. Also the online help and information on Swift data processing in the user manual is insufficient IMHO.

To get it, you have to do to pre-process the Swift scans going to the work tree and right-click on the grouping, Swift, Pre-process Swift. I attach some images.
Once this is done (take a long time) , you will see that all the anchor scans have appeared. Go to Procces menu again, Process all scans, anchor and stationary as you normally would.
If the capture was successful, the scans will be in their relative position, so you'll need to do a cloud-to-cloud registration to finish.
If there are any scans with alignment problems, it will be included in a cluster with the name review.

Regarding the capture parameters, it depends a bit on the work environment. I usually set up anchor scans of 10 seconds indoors and 25 seconds outdoors with stationary scans at corners or vantage points.

I hope I have been helpful.
Good luck with the processing.

Jose
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmdrapes
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Johnny Draper
Company Details: Studio Castellano
Company Position Title: Site Surveyor

Post by jmdrapes »

Hi Jose,

Thank you for your response. I tried what you recommended but I get an error message every time I try to preprocess. I'm attaching an image of the error message. I'm thinking the files are corrupt in some way and that I might have to change the parameters of the scan next time I'm on site. If you have any other ideas, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

Johnny
JADominguez
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: José Antonio Domínguez
Company Details: Metromecanica
Company Position Title: Láser Scanner head of the project
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JADominguez »

Oh, That looks a lot worse.
On a few occasions I have received some errors when pre-processing Swift scans and although I don't know all the possible causes, it could be due to:
Card write problems during capture or card full.
Complete battery discharge of the Focus or the Scanplan.
Missions greater than 90 minutes of capture.
An error notification was displayed during capture.
On the occasions that this has happened to me, I have been unable to perform the preprocessing and have lost the data, even though it appeared to be present on the SD card.

Could any of these circumstances have occurred during your capture project?

Return to “FARO”