V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Faro S Series Battery Failure Rate

Post by Scott »

One reason I've stuck with my Focus S120 is the ability to charge the batteries from the scanner itself. The charger that was shipped with the scanner never worked reliably, so I used the port in the base of the scanner--with success. My original batteries still work well (luck is a factor, too). It's too bad that the base port was omitted in later models--redundancy is the best insurance IMHO.
P.S.I have used the port several times to get a few final scans using a power cord--once my batteries were spent. It's a situation to be avoided--but it was there to use.
Last edited by Scott on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of US Technical Operations
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by TommyMaddox »

You can still do this with the S series scanners. You just can't really scan while this is taking place, and the charging rate is lower.

I've found that the newer style chargers work better operationally even though they are flimsier. I've found that the older style tends to have the guide rails wear out from hundreds or thousands of insertions and cause an intermittent connection and poor seating, in addition to the spring pins not wanting to come out as easily over time. The rubber covering the battery charging contacts wear out as well and trap dirt easily and the tiny contacts are much harder to clean.

The new battery style is superior IMHO it is just important to be gentle with the smaller clip on charger. Additionally in the event that SHTF the new style power supply is a pretty inexpensive and widely available unit that doesn't use difficult to find LEIMO connectors.

Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Scott »

TommyMaddox wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:23 pm
You can still do this with the S series scanners. You just can't really scan while this is taking place, and the charging rate is lower.

I've found that the newer style chargers work better operationally even though they are flimsier. I've found that the older style tends to have the guide rails wear out from hundreds or thousands of insertions and cause an intermittent connection and poor seating, in addition to the spring pins not wanting to come out as easily over time. The rubber covering the battery charging contacts wear out as well and trap dirt easily and the tiny contacts are much harder to clean.

The new battery style is superior IMHO it is just important to be gentle with the smaller clip on charger. Additionally in the event that SHTF the new style power supply is a pretty inexpensive and widely available unit that doesn't use difficult to find LEIMO connectors.
Good information...+1

brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician

Post by brian715 »

My replacement battery looks like it will be delivered soon as it arrived at my local FedEx hub yesterday. luckily we bought two spares with our scanner so we still had two that kept us going. once I have used up two batteries I am usually ready to be done for the day anyways. Our Faro Rep was and is awesome and made sure we got taken care of.

Return to “FARO”