I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: David Epps
Company Details: Envision Construction
Company Position Title: Chief Technology Officer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Working with 1/1 Scans

Post by Eppic »

Hey guys...I've always seemed to have issues handling 1/1 scans in Scene (or any program I've tested them in, frankly).

Before you say 'well, why are you scanning 1/1 in the first place' just trust there's things I'm trying to do that require that resolution / range.

I've gone back and forth with FARO on the issue as well...sometimes they can reproduce the issue with my data and sometimes they can't. Ultimately, I can almost never grab a bank of 15-20 1/1 scans and get passed the processing stage. Even with just 'create scan point cloud' and 'apply colors' and no filters setup.

SOMETIMES...I can get them to work if I uncheck everything and just process the data (no colors or scan point cloud creation) and only process one scan at a time. But even that is intermittent at best...not to mention extremely inconvenient when you have to babysit 17 scans.

I've heard 'oh you have to use the old interface' (which makes no sense to me...why create a new interface that can't handle high res data?), your computer isn't powerful enough (trust me, it is), 'you don't have enough space for your temp file' (I think 800gb on a TB SSD should do it), and any number of other reasons why it won't work. But nothing is consistent and so I can't plan around data processing effectively...which is frustrating at best.

Once I do finally get scans in, it takes forever and a day to load them in any view for registration / correspondence...so the entire workflow just seems broken to me somehow. Perhaps I have some strange setting checked that I'm unaware of (I really hope it's this simple) but nobody has been able to point me in its direction yet.

Do any of you have experience working with 1/1 scans? Any best practices you can share or similar frustrations you've encountered and found a workaround for?

At this moment, I'm literally remoting into our beefy desktop at the office (built specifically for this purpose), sitting in front of my laptop at home and looking at my personal desktop at home and trying to process the same set of 1/1 scans on all 3. I literally loaded a single scan into one and clicked 'save' and it has taken 1 hour and 25 minutes so far to save the file (another perplexing aspect of Scene...why does it take so long to save upon the first go? Is it just duplicating data somehow?)

Return to “FARO”