I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nikit Shetti
Company Details: Delta V Forensic Engineering
Company Position Title: Senior Forensic Animator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Faro S Series Mount Issues

Post by nikitshetti » Tue May 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Hello,

Has anyone had trouble with the new S Series quick release mount being stuck ? We have four S70 scanners and I believe we had issues with the mount on at least three scanners, couple of times within few months of owning it. I spoke to Faro but it seems like this is the only quick release mount that will fit on the new s series. I would like to know if anyone has found any alternative or fix for this ? Thank you.

Best,
Nikit Shetti

bdawood
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Faro S Series Mount Issues

Post by bdawood » Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Yes I have the same issue, I had to disassemble it from the tripod few times, and work on it separately somewhere safe, I had the feeling that one day I will have a major accident with it. I ended up removing it all together and currently using the old one I have for the S120 and purchased another one. This is a poorly designed item and is a bottle neck and keeps me worried all the time.

caddman97
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Jason Sturniolo
Company Details: Architectural Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by caddman97 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Where did you purchase the older style for the S120? I have been looking for one. Thanks

Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott » Tue May 08, 2018 6:05 pm

bdawood wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 pm
Yes I have the same issue, I had to disassemble it from the tripod few times, and work on it separately somewhere safe, I had the feeling that one day I will have a major accident with it. I ended up removing it all together and currently using the old one I have for the S120 and purchased another one. This is a poorly designed item and is a bottle neck and keeps me worried all the time.
It's a good time to rethink the quick release base issue. No one wants to have an accident mounting and dismounting equipment. Years ago I purchased a 'leveling' pano head to use with my Focus 120, for setups that exceeded the internal 15º limit of the scanner (generally outdoors). The tripod no longer needed to be anything but stable, since the leveling head would take care of 'level' in a second. It's very useful in hilly San Francisco. I've never looked back. I have the original Gitzo pano head that came from FARO (almost new), if that interests you (if it works with the new FARO scanners -the Sunwayfoto 90R is the better way, IMHO).
Mine is a SUNWAYFOTO DYH 90Ri : Available at Amazon, BH photo etc.:
https://www.amazon.com/SUNWAYFOTO-DYH-9 ... SUNWAYFOTO You will also need an 'Arca' type quick-release plate.

If a tribrach setup is needed, you might look here:
https://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/R ... -772-in
or here, for something else:
https://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/T ... ccessories

JMontie
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: James Montie
Company Details: ReCon Engineering
Company Position Title: Piping Designer

Post by JMontie » Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 pm

We've got both the X330 and S350. Since we had multiple fixtures for the X330 We had a mount machined to match.

bdawood
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by bdawood » Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 am

caddman97 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:40 pm
Where did you purchase the older style for the S120? I have been looking for one. Thanks
I got it of eBay , but I would go with the one scott mentioned. I purchased something similar by Manfrotto but did not use it yet, it is the 438 model, but the one scott have is much cleaner and can easily be attached to a quick release.

Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH + Co. KG
Company Position Title: Senior Product Manager
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler » Wed May 09, 2018 9:28 am

Hello Community.

Thank you very much for all the feedback we received about the original Quick Release that had been designed for the new FARO Focus M an S series scanners.
FARO is listening carefully to user feedback and had been working on a mounting solution that better serves the needs of professional surveying applications.

As a result, starting this month, there is a new design available for Focus S series scanners.

It is 100% compatible with the well-known Traceable3D reference target system as well as with the tripod mount that had been used for the previous Focus models.

Please contact your local sales representative or FARO customer support for further detail.

PS:
If you have demand for additional tripod mounts for your previous Focus scanner models, they are available via your FARO sales partner or customer support as well.

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Senior Product Manager
FARO Europe GmbH & Co. KG
oliver.buerkler@faro.com
oliver.buerkler@laserscanningforum.com

Blog: http://oliverbuerkler.wordpress.com
Twitter: FARO_LS_PM

nikitshetti
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nikit Shetti
Company Details: Delta V Forensic Engineering
Company Position Title: Senior Forensic Animator

Post by nikitshetti » Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 pm

I am surprised so many people have had issues with the S series mount. Speaking to Faro it seemed like we were the only ones having the quick release issue. One of our Engineers spoke to one of his friend who has a S Series Scanner and Faro told him the same thing that they have not come across a lot of quick release issue. We recently had the mount stuck to the scanner for which we had to send the scanner back to faro. Basically the entire mount with the Module rotates and there is no way to get the screw out. Faro has given us a quote of 2885 $ plus tax to fix the scanner. They need to change the Pan Module which itself is like 2700 $. It is really frustrating to pay for something that is a design flaw.

bdawood
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts

Post by bdawood » Wed May 09, 2018 6:31 pm

I anticipated big issues with this design, the 4 screw design they had on the s120 and x series works well and does not put any stress on the rotating mechanism, unlike the new design where you end up with some load on the base when installing the mount, most of the issues I had with the jamming is in the cold weather. I feel sorry for Nikit, faro should recall these mounting basses before more damage is done to these expensive devices.

srichardprologue
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Sebastien Richard
Company Details: Prologue Systems LLC
Company Position Title: Field Operations

Post by srichardprologue » Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 pm

nikitshetti wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 pm
I am surprised so many people have had issues with the S series mount. Speaking to Faro it seemed like we were the only ones having the quick release issue. One of our Engineers spoke to one of his friend who has a S Series Scanner and Faro told him the same thing that they have not come across a lot of quick release issue. We recently had the mount stuck to the scanner for which we had to send the scanner back to faro. Basically the entire mount with the Module rotates and there is no way to get the screw out. Faro has given us a quote of 2885 $ plus tax to fix the scanner. They need to change the Pan Module which itself is like 2700 $. It is really frustrating to pay for something that is a design flaw.
That's outrageous that you're being charged for that, hope a FARO rep on here might help you out with that.

I'm curious if anybody has used the new mount Oliver mentioned. I would like to hear about it before investing.

Return to “Faro”