I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Christian McCartney
Company Details: Hawkins Construction
Company Position Title: VDC-BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

FARO M70 - Must buy SCENE?

Post by CMC007 »

Hi all,

Our company is currently looking to purchase two laser scanners - we were initially looking at the BLK360, but the FARO M70 has come in at a comparable price (once import and all accessories etc are taken into account.)
That is, until we were advised we have to purchase a license of SCENE with each scanner!?

For our purposes, our existing Autodesk subscriptions and access to ReCAP Pro are sufficient, so we cannot justify the additional 30% premium on top of each scanner, and this definitely stops the M70 being competitive with the BLK360.

Can anyone from FARO please confirm this is the case? We would prefer to go with the M70, and in doing so would at least be open to a future purchase of SCENE as the need arises.
Has anyone else been hit with a mandatory purchase of SCENE?

Thanks,
Christian
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Re: FARO M70 - Must buy SCENE?

Post by jamesworrell »

Aside from the Scene issue (kind of curious myself), I would recommend getting a demo of each to see they how they (and the data) compare side by side and that the workflows and outputs are what you want.
CMC007
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Christian McCartney
Company Details: Hawkins Construction
Company Position Title: VDC-BIM Manager

Post by CMC007 »

Hi James,

We have reviewed both sample data and workflows with both, and while they do differ slightly (pros and cons for both), our preference is towards the FARO, considering it is more "professional grade" than the "pro-sumer' grade of the BLK, not a 1st generation piece of equipment, and marginally better range/accuracy (noting that the BLK will still achieve what we want from it).

As per my original post, the price between the two is relatively close when comparing BLK360 (+iPad Pro & Accessories Pack) vs M70 (+ accessories, ie tripod/spare batteries), but once SCENE is added to the equation we could almost get a third BLK360!
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Oatfedgoat »

I would be surprised if you HAD to buy 2 copies of scene for two scanners.
One should be enough depending on your anticipated workload and processing plan.

Are you confident that the Recap option with the BLK does everything that you need or is there a chance that you will decide to purchase Cyclone Register 360 a few months down the line?
ARGAS
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Karol Argasinski
Company Details: BIMfaktoria
Company Position Title: BIM 3D Scanning
Skype Name: karolus44

Post by ARGAS »

Dear all,

I am struggling with the same fate. We have S120 in our office and we are thinking about secondary unit. Which one is better and is it possible to connect raw data of Leica with Focus? If so, how?

Best regards,
Karol
--
BIMfaktoria - delivering pointclouds and SCAN2BIM models.

http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
https://www.facebook.com/BIMfaktoria
instagram: bimfaktoria
Nickel1
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Nick Worrell
Company Details: Atlantic Laser Scanning Services Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by Nickel1 »

Honestly,
I would consider renting.
By the time you lease a unit, one that actually has a range similar to the S120 you are looking at close to $2,000/month.
FARO is hitting customers with $3600/year in calibration costs.
Or you can buy a warranty for around $5000 a year.
Then figure in the yearly maintenance cost of $1,000 a year for SCENE
Finally the insurance you pay monthly.
You are looking at spending about $32,000/year.
And at the end of it all, in three years there will likely be something new out that you will need or rather be using.

Its cheaper to rent a unit, even if its monthly. You end up with a calibrated scanner, most of the time one that is a higher model than what you would likely buy yourself.

Atlanticlaserscanning.com
Nick Worrell
President
Atlantic Laser Scanning Services Inc.
Rental Provider of FARO 3D Laser Scanners
FARO Training
New Smyrna Beach, FL
(800) 955-3960
atlanticlaserscanning.com
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

Faro would certainly want all scanner buyers to purchase a Scene license. However, it is hard to justify why you should buy one Scene license for every scanner you purchase.

Technically you can process Faro M70 fls files with Recap without going through Scene.
I am registering almost all my scans with Recap. I do indoor projects with short range and low resolution, no targets. The number of scans per project is typically 20 to 50. There Recap does quite a decent job.
My biggest Recap project was an entire 3-storey office building inside and outside, 290 scans taken during one very long day.
I must say that was pushing the limits of Recap, and it took some careful planning.
pros and cons of Recap:
+ low cost, monthly subscription
+ very fast automatic registration, provided you have good overlap between scans
+ simple user interface
- little control over the registration process and accuracy
- sometimes registration just fails, and you cannot manually move point clouds to match

I hope Faro would in the future go in the same direction as Autodesk, and offer its software on a pay-as-you-go monthly subscription basis.
phamduysc
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Duy Pham
Company Details: Land Surveys
Company Position Title: Project surveyor
Skype Name: phamduysc

Post by phamduysc »

CMC007 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 am Hi all,

Our company is currently looking to purchase two laser scanners - we were initially looking at the BLK360, but the FARO M70 has come in at a comparable price (once import and all accessories etc are taken into account.)
That is, until we were advised we have to purchase a license of SCENE with each scanner!?

For our purposes, our existing Autodesk subscriptions and access to ReCAP Pro are sufficient, so we cannot justify the additional 30% premium on top of each scanner, and this definitely stops the M70 being competitive with the BLK360.

Can anyone from FARO please confirm this is the case? We would prefer to go with the M70, and in doing so would at least be open to a future purchase of SCENE as the need arises.
Has anyone else been hit with a mandatory purchase of SCENE?

Thanks,
Christian
Dear Christian,
We have legal license of FARO SCENE, Riscan PRO and Leica Cyclone which already did registration for hundreds of project for Europe, Aussie, Japan partner. In case you need a perfect point cloud without any annoying from software, please contact us. Your delivered will be in ptx, e57, fls or recap and the registration report.

Hence, our main services are modeling and visualizing from point cloud data. So for the simplest, through all raw data to me, sit back, relax and get your needs.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question. Our website is http://vmts.ch or email me at [email protected]
Duy Pham | Surveyor
desigev
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Gevorg Karapetyan
Company Details: Visual3Dwell
Company Position Title: Visual3Dwell

Post by desigev »

Hello,

I just saw your question, although it was written years ago, I would like to provide some updates from my experience as they may help others. I have been using the Faro M70 for the past two years. Initially, I tried Scene, which is great software, but it was out of my budget. Then I switched to Recap Pro. Autodesk Recap Pro fulfills all my needs regarding the industry I'm in. I do exterior building designs, interior design, as-built, and furniture as-builds with great precision for possible revisions, etc.

Last year, I upgraded to Recap 2024, and the registration started displaying in black and white. Later, I learned that FARO company put limitations to promote sells FARO Scene.

Currently, the situation with Faro Scans in Recap is as follows:

For "Non-Premium Faro Focus" scans:

Recap 2023 and older: Import with Color
Recap 2024: Unable to import with Color
For "Premium Faro Focus" scans:

Recap 2023 and older: Unable to import at all
Recap 2024: Import in grayscale

So Im switching back to Recap 2023.

I hope this information helps.

Return to “FARO”