I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alessandro Rossi
Company Details: Visual Arte
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

External Scans Distance Problem

Post by alex_rossi »

Hello,
I have a problem with a 'FARO Focus 3D S 120' during external scans. I set the profile 'external 20 ...' and scan area 90 / -60 vertically and 0/360 horizontally. Once I brought the scans into SCENE I noticed that the points detected stopped at a distance of about 7 meters from the laser, leaving the scan incomplete. It was not a sunny day but cloudly and I scanned with color OFF. I have done other tests with different profiles and I have the same result. Am I wrong in the settings or is it a laser problem?

Thank you all

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader

Re: External Scans Distance Problem

Post by jcoco3 »

Interesting. First I have to ask if you checked the max distance filter on initial processing page, and if it perhaps was set to 7m?

Oskokos
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Sergey
Company Details: Measuredsurvey365
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by Oskokos »

We use Faro x130 and as far as we know, the scanner will still send the laser beams to pretty much 130 metres, no matter what resolution you use ( of course the density will be drastically different between different resolutions).

So it makes me think that it must be something with your Scene settings, specifically in distance filter as mentioned by jcoco3.
Measured Building Surveys And 3D Laser Scanning Services
E-mail: [email protected]

alex_rossi
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by alex_rossi »

Thanks for the answers and sorry if I reply to you just now.
Anyway, in the beginning, on Scene, I thought it was the fault of any filters and I tried to process the scans without any filter selected and the result does not change.
I hope is it a Scene settings problem, even because the Faro always worked perfectly.

alex_rossi
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by alex_rossi »

As you can see from the attachments, on two sides it measures approximately 10 meters and on the other two approximately 5. And each scan is like this, who reaches 7m and who less.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Sorry the filters were not the problem.

From the look of the scans in your image I believe there is something wrong with the scanner. If the optics (both mirror, cover lens, and the internal dome shaped lens) are clean (and by clean I mean not filthy) then you may need to send the scanner in for repair. The way in which the data on the walls and floors dissipates in a non-uniform mess is the first sign. The second is the two high contrast intensity rings on each side of the scan near the void circle. I have seen this once before, and I think we had to send it in to Faro, but it came back working perfectly and has not repeated the issue since. Better contact Faro support to get their input, and see if they can help.

Wish I had better news for you :(

alex_rossi
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by alex_rossi »

Yes, I have noticed the two different rings near the void circle, and it was the second post that I would have published. I wanted to bring all the scans to the end of the process to see the final result and how problematic it was but the distance problem was primary.

So can it be a cleaning problem? I have just checked and it seems clean. I will clean it better and try again, otherwise, I will send it to Faro.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help :like:

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Only a cleaning problem if its obviously dirty. Difficult to explain what that means, but it takes more dust on the lens or mirror than you would think to interfere with operation. We know this from experience scanning in extremely dusty environments that require cleaning every other scan or so...yeah that bad :?

That tricky thing to catch is if there is dust inside the scanner between the lens and the other spherical lens. You can inspect it with a light and see dust stuck on the inside sometimes. This was more of a problem on early 120 models, and was typically cleaned out during calibration.

My hunch is that your problem is not a dust problem, but rather something else like a laser module going out, which happens. Lasers don't last forever and have varied reliability like most electronics.

I was going to say sorry for the bad news, but problems like this are normal (arguably). We have done well to deal with them quickly and get back to scanning :P

Return to “FARO”