I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Thomas Gregor
Company Details: GENT
Company Position Title: Mechanical Technical Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: No

Green Points

Post by gregorygagnon »

Has anybody had any experience with scans coming back with green points (see attached) spattered throughout the point cloud? What causes this?

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Green Points

Post by 3DForensics »

I am trying to figure out what I am looking at to be quite honest but I see some type of opening or window on the right side...could this be from a reflection off the glass?
gregorygagnon
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by gregorygagnon »

The original post was showing a factory ceiling.

I've attached another example. The second picture is a screen shot from "RealView" in Recap, and the first picture is the exact same view of the "3D View" (point cloud). As you can see, the point cloud shows green dots along the path of the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Are the points off somehow or just colored incorrectly? Is it possible that something was in front of the lens when it took the photos? All it takes is a small leaf, person or something else to show up when it takes the photo and you get a color other than what you were expecting.

Eugene
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

Weird, but forget the green...what's with all the black points? Is the geometry of the points correct or is it very noisy? If so it might be a defective camera module, but it would be the first I have ever heard of. Does it look that way in Scene, because if it does and the scanner keeps producing funny colors, then it is probably time to call Faro support so they can fix it.
JulienCrippa
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Julien Crippa
Company Details: Consultco
Company Position Title: 3d Scanner technician

Post by JulienCrippa »

Maybe a stupid thing... When you are in the 3d view, if you are selecting a scan, the points related to that scan turns in green. If you double click in a white part you will deselects the scans and points shoud turn in the original color.
forgive me if this is not it.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

2 years ago we did a survey with a X130 of a heat radiating tubular conveyor. We would feel fine from the outdoor breeze but the internal heat of the scanner reached well over 55 degrees in a few scans. The scan was decalibrated after that. The moment it had an overheating issue we could see it in the 3d data on that particular scan. Most of it came out blue(the scan fully finished), it was a uniform blue color. The pictures were fine, but the 3d was blue.
If you had heat issues at your site, check the seam of your scans to see if it closes (if possible in scene 5.5 where there is no angular compensation).
You might have to get it calibrated. If its fine maybe try a workaround import, threw recap or cyclone or TBC,etc.

Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gregorygagnon
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by gregorygagnon »

I still haven't had any success in figuring out what has caused this, but when I export the RCP file directly from SCENE I can't repeat it.

The point cloud below with green points was exported from SCENE by exporting ordered scans in FLS format and then indexing them via ReCap.

The point cloud below without green points was exported directly to RCP format from SCENE using the "Export Project" function.

For now we will just use the export project function in SCENE to avoid this in the future.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Android131313
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andrew Dunn
Company Details: MaxCAD Drafting Services Pty. Ltd.
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Android131313 »

We are seeing exactly the same problem.. Green and Blue points randomly inside the point clouds. Only when processed in Recap.
Unfortunately our workflow with our clients requires that we use recap, so we are stuck with this.
Does not happen on every scan.. we hadn't seen it at all in the last 2 years of processing scans, just showed up sudenly. It could have been after the last Recap update? but not sure..
Green Points.jpg

Return to “FARO”