Warehouse Registration (large open spaces)

Discuss FARO hardware here.
donnieboboe
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Donnie Bogle-Boesiger
Company Details: Hunzinger Construction Co
Company Position Title: Construction Technical Services Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Warehouse Registration (large open spaces)

Post by donnieboboe »

Hey all,
New to scanning and on the forum looking for some help.

I'm scanning a large warehouse building (500 ft x 1,600 ft) during construction so there's very little geometry inside the building and what there is, it's all symmetrical and identical. I have around 180 scans with large overlap (70-90%). I did it this way for a couple reasons... In hopes it would register cloud to cloud easier and to get the level of detail we needed in the scans. I got back to the office with about 1/3 of the building scanned and am trying to register it.

The way that I organized my clusters is through long 500 ft strips with smaller square clusters in those and I'm finding 1"+ error when registering the clusters together. Most of the large error is coming in at the ends of the building. Right now, I'm planning on just taking a couple more scans in these areas to hopefully get a better registration. Is there a way to add points in the specific scans that are showing up as high error in the registration report? When I was registering multiple clusters together, it only had me match points in one scan per cluster. Can I add more points in different clusters to help line it up better?

I'm also seeing that some of the columns in the building have points from far away scans that aren't as accurate. When I create a project point cloud and "eliminate duplicate points", will SCENE recognize the poor data and better data points as the same and eliminate the worse data?

Hope this is making sense, like I said, I'm new at this. Hoping some light can be shed on this here.

Thanks!
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: Transport for London
Company Position Title: Senior Engineer

Re: Warehouse Registration (large open spaces)

Post by danielgadowski »

Donnie,
Faro scanners data is not accurately level, so I hope you have used a total station to provide external control for your scans.
Especially on a building this size.
I do not like registering in Scene, so would prefer to do all this in Cyclone.
In there you would be able to find all of the possible matches between all of your scans and used them to tighten the registration.
You could also discard all of the data past a given distance if you do not believe (rightly) that that data is not as accurate.
Daniel
Raimund58
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Raimund58 »

I think survay control would help you to balance the tension.
\o/
Wdigman - Europe
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Warren Digman
Company Details: Crystal Prism Consulting
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Wdigman - Europe »

Unfortunately,large spaces like this can be deceiving.

First off you cant do something like this with cloud to cloud registration since there is not enough geometry. You have to use targets and should consider a total station to level and preserve the Z in your 1,600 feet of scans. With a faro you will need to scan in short hops to get enough points on the targets for a good registration, shortcut this and you will find high error in the targeted registration. Again the total station is key in this case.

If you are using something like a P-40 or P-50 you can shoot targets the full length of the bay and maintain accuracy.

Its important to know the limitations of equipment so you can adjust, and not get a surprise in the office.
MagicBrou
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Julian Weber
Company Details: Stadt Reutlingen
Company Position Title: director of engineering surveying

Post by MagicBrou »

What about the new S series of Faro Scanners? I heared they have improved the compensator a Lot! What do you think?

P50 is fine but pretty big anderen heavy for interior Scans.....
geedaa83
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mohamed AbdEl-Magied
Company Details: 3DBIM
Company Position Title: Technical Sales Manager
Skype Name: geedaa83
Location: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mohamed-abd ... d-8519a52/

Post by geedaa83 »

please check your private message
Thank You

Mahmed AbdEl-Magied
+201122389828 (whatsApp & calls)
[email protected]
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

As a tip going forward, if you're doing a tunnel or warehouse etc, I place empty cardboard boxes around the area, helps to have some dotted about (though control should always be used really with targets).
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: Transport for London
Company Position Title: Senior Engineer

Post by danielgadowski »

MagicBrou wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 pm What about the new S series of Faro Scanners? I heared they have improved the compensator a Lot! What do you think?

P50 is fine but pretty big anderen heavy for interior Scans.....
The difference is that the P scanners use the same grade compensator in them as their Total Stations (you trust those, right?) and each and every line of scan is corrected autonomously based on the reading for that moment. With the phase scanners their rotational speed is too great to use such a compensator (centrifugal forces) hence they use slightly lower grade sensors. They should be ok for smaller rooms where the distances mean your never too much out of plumb on a 1 minute reading for example, but in a warehouse of such sizes this will add up and will come out at some point.

Proper control on this job with (any) phase scanner is the only way IMHO.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President

Post by LPaulCook »

I am a land surveyor so I use surveyed targets on larger sites to be sure calibration and level is correct. I use the FARO X330 and S350 scanners. After scanning 1,500' to 4,000' in length I find them both to be quite level, after 4,000' and checking by surveying I find the vertical error of the scans to be less than 0.20'.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

Good targeted control (to minimize registration error stack-up and drift over long distances), and sturdy tall tripods (to get better incident angle returns on the floor and improved floor coverage) are key to scanning in large warehouses or similar vast open featureless places.

The new FARO scanners can use the High Detail Target Scanning function to pick up targets at longer ranges and with greater detail. Many users can also suggest a variety of larger sphere or checkerboard targets to aid in scanning large areas well.

With the X series having a 54 arc-second inclinometer, you can expect to achieve better long range results and floor flatness accuracy by using the S series featuring a 19 arc-second inclinometer. These of course pale in comparison to the 0.5 or 1 arc-second inclinometers of a high quality total station, hence the need to lock those targets in with survey control for producing high quality scan registrations over large areas.

Additionally, filtering the scan data by distance range during pre-processing can help you avoid using less accurate points for columns and other features, when you have scans that are much closer to the columns or areas of interest.

Return to “FARO”