I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Danie Roelvert
Company Details: PinPoint 3D
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Trimble X7 in extremely cold conditions

Post by Danie83 »

I received a request to do some scans inside a cold room, running at -30 degrees Celsius! :shock: A person is not allowed longer than 15min inside at a time.
I see the datasheet specify a working range of -20 degree Celsius for the X7. Does anyone have any advice perhaps? Will the X7 still work, say at 10min intervals with a 30min break to warm up again?
I have read that the batteries are the main issue in cold conditions, so we will have to take some spares.
Will there be any issue with the quality of the data or accuracies? Or is there perhaps a different scanner I must look at?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Danie
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Re: Trimble X7 in extremely cold conditions

Post by stutosney »

Danie83 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am I received a request to do some scans inside a cold room, running at -30 degrees Celsius! :shock: A person is not allowed longer than 15min inside at a time.
I see the datasheet specify a working range of -20 degree Celsius for the X7. Does anyone have any advice perhaps? Will the X7 still work, say at 10min intervals with a 30min break to warm up again?
I have read that the batteries are the main issue in cold conditions, so we will have to take some spares.
Will there be any issue with the quality of the data or accuracies? Or is there perhaps a different scanner I must look at?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Danie
Have a look at this post from a few years back:

viewtopic.php?t=13975
Danie83
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Danie Roelvert
Company Details: PinPoint 3D
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Danie83 »

Thanks Stuart, if the X330 operates fine then the X7 should be fine. I will also warm the batteries.
(I am actually more worried about myself than the scanner :D , here in South Africa we are not used to that cold temperatures)
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

Danie83 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:41 am Thanks Stuart, if the X330 operates fine then the X7 should be fine. I will also warm the batteries.
(I am actually more worried about myself than the scanner :D , here in South Africa we are not used to that cold temperatures)
Ha, I bet! You will probably need to have 30 mins out of the freezer after a scan as well and let the scanner get back up to room temp before heading back in, though that's a guess! Might also be worth contacting Trimble and get some advice, wouldn't want to make your warranty invalid doing something it isn't equipped for.
JeffT
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Jeff T
Company Details: Geospatial
Company Position Title: Engineering Technician

Post by JeffT »

I have done scans like this with a Leica C10 and P40. Usually you can get about 6-8 scans in then the scanner slows to a stop. I think the grease in the bearings freezes up or something. Data looks fine for the scans that complete.

Not the same scanner, but a data point for something you might run into.

Return to “Trimble”