I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tristan Smythe
Company Details: UPG
Company Position Title: Sales Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Trimble X7 demo

Post by Hypa80 »

Hi All,

Has anyone had a good demo of the Trimble X7 yet? I've got one booked in for next week.

We've been using the TX series for the last 4-5 months, mostly the TX6 recently so I'm familiar with the workflow.

Looking at comparing it to the RTC360 and it's workflows, mainly for Scan to BIM.

There's an obvious difference in speed of data collection 500K vs 2M per second, but how about the photo's, operation etc.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hypa
Dmitry_V
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dmitry Vodianytskyi
Company Details: Clipper Logistics plc
Company Position Title: Head of Solution Design

Re: Trimble X7 demo

Post by Dmitry_V »

There's an obvious difference in speed of data collection 500K vs 2M per second
I think this is a huge one. Usually I need 150-200 scans per site, most at level 2 (TX8). Which is about 5 minutes per scan. And it is long. With X7 it is significantly slower.

So I don't think X7 is a real replacement for TX6/8, it is more of an entry-level system.
mariusP
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Marius Putrimas
Company Details: Terra Modus
Company Position Title: Undet product manager

Post by mariusP »

Finally, I got a chance to test the new Trimble X7 3D scanner. This time Trimble did a really great job: new Perspective software with X7 3D scanner works perfectly! We did some test scanning (inside / outside) and in both cases software registered all scans into single point cloud fully automatically during the scanning process. The first impression that this solution is definitely a USER-FRIENDLY and probably should be the first choice when you want to join to 3D scanning world. We did scanning and until we got back to the office, we already had an exported e57 file that we uploaded to Undet for SketchUp and we could start the 3D modeling immediately based on the data we collected, everything was registered automatically!

Is he really as good as I wrote? If it will be your first 3D scanner, the user-friendly workflow with Trimble X7 & and Perspective software will make your journey in 3D scanning world amazing and easy. If you are a 3D scanning expert and it will be not the first scanner, the main cons will be scanning speed. If your typical scanning project there are up to 20 scanning stations - its perfect solution, but if you are planning to make hundreds of scans maybe it would not be the best option to collect data very fast.
Undet Point Cloud Software provides software solutions for AutoCAD, ARES Commander, Revit, and SketchUp point cloud users to save time, increase efficiency, and reduce errors in creating 3D models and 2D drawings.

:arrow: www.undet.com
Dmitry_V
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dmitry Vodianytskyi
Company Details: Clipper Logistics plc
Company Position Title: Head of Solution Design

Post by Dmitry_V »

mariusP wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:08 am We did scanning and until we got back to the office, we already had an exported e57 file that we uploaded to Undet for SketchUp and we could start the 3D modeling immediately based on the data we collected
I just wish you could work directly from RWP in Undet, without conversion... (dreaming :) )
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

Well Undet needs to rasterize the point cloud..
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

Yeah this is I think where the TX7 really provides a unique value proposition in the market. The ideal customer IMHO is a first time buyer who is also a beginner and in a small operation.

It's easy to use if you have no experience scanning
It's simple to get scan data to a usable format
The auto level and calibration system removes uncertainty about surprise costs
2 year warranty, which is a year longer than other vendors include

There are plenty of downsides that make it not something I'd recommend to anyone who isn't that ideal customer though and I think they've actually been fairly well covered in other threads.
Augusto 3D
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: C-Augusto
Company Details: 3d scanning
Company Position Title: USA

Post by Augusto 3D »

There are plenty of downsides that make it not something I'd recommend to anyone who isn't that ideal customer though and I think they've actually been fairly well covered in other threads.
do you have a link to those?
I think that with anything, there will always be compromises, but I am curious to learn what the negatives are from your POV.
It's easy to use if you have no experience scanning
It's simple to get scan data to a usable format
These two particually are plusses regardless of anything with any brand. I think the real technical skills come into play back at the office and what you do with the data dont you agree?
sakul007
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Luwi
Company Details: own
Company Position Title: geomatik

Post by sakul007 »

crullier wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:13 amdo you have a link to those?
I think that with anything, there will always be compromises, but I am curious to learn what the negatives are from your POV.
Hey guys!
I also had a chance to use a few days Trimble X7. I have been using since 8 years mostly Leica equipment like HDS4050, C10, P20, P40, BLK360, RTC360, and Faro X130 and S150, and never used Trimble TLS. X7 was impressive but also disappointing in some cases. I disagree with glorifying Trimble X7 because it is not perfect. It is pleasant to use because it is silent, especially in indoor projects is nite.
I wrote a blog post about the pros and cons of Trimble X7 so if you - @crullier or any of you are interested, you are very welcome to check it:
https://3d-points.com/posts/001-Deliver ... -the-field
https://3d-points.com/posts/002--Is-it- ... -the-field
screenshot of blog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
regards

Lukas
Linkin_1
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Lucas
Company Details: GEOTOPO
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Linkin_1 »

Observation of sakul007 are right, but...right at the begenning of 2020 (april 2020) and probabely without a good training.

The firmware has since evolved a lot on X7, Trimble perspective too, with new fonctionnality and new hardware spec.
You can see all update here : https://help.trimblegeospatial.com/Pers ... n/Home.htm

In most situation the scanning take 1min30 or 2min30 with photo. We regulary test with customer for the demo.

You have single connection betveen scan station BUT when you export the project, Perspective do a registration refinement with all neigbor stations.

Sakul007, i think that if you do a new test with your local Trimble partner, your impression will change for the best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trimble”