Modeling in Realworks 11.2

Discuss all Trimble related issues here.
jpw173
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: John P Wolf
Company Details: Staff
Company Position Title: GIS Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Modeling in Realworks 11.2

Post by jpw173 »

Question for you all,

A bit of warning before I ask: this is my first time asking a question on here. Please forgive me if I don't give enough information.

My company was tasked with using LiDAR to map a Steam tunnel. After bringing the data into Trimble, registering it, and removing all the points that we didn't need, we sent it to the client. They were happy with the result, but wanted modeling done for the pipe, braces holding the piping, and of the tunnel itself.

The pipe modeling was easy enough using the EasyPipe button. The only issue we had was that the diameter of the ends didn't always match, but for what we were doing, that was OK.

The braces were another matter. I had to use Create Geometry and I used the Extrusion option. Looking down on the braces, I collected them. When I did so, the model was accurate for the width. The height however was off in how tall the brace was. This continued for all the braces I had to model. My second issue was that I could only model one part of the brace at a time. The braces I were modeling were in the shape of the capitol "F." So, I would have to model the vertical part, followed by the hope horizontal beam, then the bottom beam. I was not able to figure out how to model in 3D. I was only able to model in 2D.

The tunnel was next, and I had to use extrusion again. Our clients wanted the tunnel to be modeled as hollow, so I couldn't use the cylinder or the pipe, and the circular torus wouldn't have been accurate.

What I am asking is this: Am I doing something wrong that I am not able to model this easy? Is there a video I could watch to give me some insight?

I am not sure I would be able to provide any data for examples.

Thank you all for your time in reading this novel.

John
james.mosimann
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: James Mosimann
Company Details: ClearEdge3D
Company Position Title: Regional Sales Manager
Skype Name: [email protected]

Re: Modeling in Realworks 11.2

Post by james.mosimann »

John,

I may be able to assist but I'm not certain. Still, I would be happy to chat and discuss some options.

A little on me, I work for ClearEdge3D developing point cloud modelling software. Our Edgewise program may be helpful for you but it also may not be in which case I might be able to point you towards a better alternative or streamlined workflow.

Just DM me if you would like to discuss.

James Mosimann
James Mosimann
ClearEdge3D
MagicBrou
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Julian Weber
Company Details: Stadt Reutlingen
Company Position Title: director of engineering surveying

Post by MagicBrou »

Hey james
i am modeling with Trimble realworks simple buildings but i struggle with modeling crooked walls and stucco in the ceiling.

Could we Share some workarounds?

Thanks
Julian
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: Mike Annear
Company Position Title: 3D Modeler

Post by Mike Annear »

Sorry, I am not trying to hijack your topic,
My understanding is that Trimble Realworks is for pointcloud processing (registration etc),
It doesn't seem to have much capability as a 3D modelling package.
Can I recommend a Rhino 6.0 + Veesus Arena solution ?
(no, I don't work for either company)
All I do all day is 3D modelling, Rhino 3D is one of the best modelling packages on the market, Veesus is a point Cloud "Engine" that enables Rhino to handle massive pointclouds, Both are relatively cheap.
Horses for courses....
Regards,
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
MagicBrou
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Julian Weber
Company Details: Stadt Reutlingen
Company Position Title: director of engineering surveying

Post by MagicBrou »

Sure Mike i won't say you are wrong with that solution. But does veesus or rhino fit primitives Like Planes etc. To the Pointcloud automatically? Most modeling Tools have No snap function and you have to do all modeling by "eye". I modeled a whole building with realworks and i did an as built Control (model to Pointcloud) within 1- 1,5cm deviation (maximum). Its all about the skills of the User.
For very detailed Things, it lacks a bit, but it does its Job. I will Post Screenshots soon.

And as a Side Note: i cant Model with revit because my clients would blame me for the generalized Results and Bad accuracy 😂. Deformation true modeling is highly demanded in a surveyor point of View!

Thanks
Julian

Return to “Trimble”