I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Gianni Epinotto
Company Details: GC CM
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Leica leveling base incompatibility with tripod

Post by fpensa »

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me out on this. We recently purchase a Leica leveling base to be used with our Leica RTC360 standard tripod. To our surprise, these 2 Leica products seems incompatible : The base has what it seems a 5/8" female screw while the tripod a standard RTC360 attach

Vendor told us there's no adapter for this, therefore we bought a new tripod (replacement was due anyway) with a male 3/8" screw

And I bought this adapter on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1, female 3/8" to male 5/8"

which goes well with the tripod...

...but does not fit the Leica leveling base! It looks like the screw socket is slightly smaller than 5/8" and the threads wider!

I know that Leica likes to mess with customer and force them to buy Leica branded product, but in this case not even the vendor is aware of a solution...

Anyone has any idea?
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Leica leveling base incompatibility with tripod

Post by Justin Richards »

Thats the wrong thread pitch,

This is what we used...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... kEQAvD_BwE
1562865811_554328.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Scott.Warren »

5/8 Fine (often cameras) vs 5/8 Course (survey gear) threading?
fpensa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by fpensa »

Scott.Warren wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:43 pm 5/8 Fine (often cameras) vs 5/8 Course (survey gear) threading?
I guess ... I didn't know the difference, is there an adaptor for that? Quick search on Amazon did not return results...
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Scott.Warren »

Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager

Post by Kruse »

Why are you using the leveling base at all? The scanner is going to rely on the internal IMU for both standard scans and High Tilt Accuracy ones. With High Tilt Accuracy enabled, you're good to have the scanner within 10 degrees of tilt before the HTA can't level itself back to the advertised 18" arcsec. Don't get me wrong, it's good practice to level out each setup with or without HTA enabled, but I don't think it will really make all that much difference if any assuming you're using Register 360. There isn't a way to have Reg360 ignore all IMU/level data for the setups to override and then rely entirely on the tribrach for leveling purposes.

I've done exactly this test comparing a large floor plan scan against known benchmarks and checking into them and I found no quantifiable difference between standard scans, High Tilt Scans, and standard scans using the Tribrach to manually level before scanning. Across the benchmarks, I never saw more than like 1/16" of deviation. And then beyond that, if you apply control, with or without HTA mode and the level status applied in register 360, it can still 3D transform your scans to match control points and potentially add error if you control points aren't perfect.

Leveling RTC scans before hand is only useful when you're not using any control, but again, Reg360 couldn't override the IMU data to the point you'd need if using a tribrach... I can't speak to Core though if that's a possibility or not. Just my 2 cents and why we never use tribrachs with the RTC scanner though.

Unless you're just doing this to reuse other tripods you have at your disposal, at which point just ignore the above :lol: I'd figure out an adapter solution as well, :D
fpensa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by fpensa »

Scott.Warren wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:19 pm https://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/A ... ale-thread
This the one?
Seems like both the ends 3/8 and 5/8 are coarse threaded... My 3/8" end is fine threaded
fpensa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by fpensa »

Kruse wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:08 pm Why are you using the leveling base at all? The scanner is going to rely on the internal IMU for both standard scans and High Tilt Accuracy ones. With High Tilt Accuracy enabled, you're good to have the scanner within 10 degrees of tilt before the HTA can't level itself back to the advertised 18" arcsec. Don't get me wrong, it's good practice to level out each setup with or without HTA enabled, but I don't think it will really make all that much difference if any assuming you're using Register 360. There isn't a way to have Reg360 ignore all IMU/level data for the setups to override and then rely entirely on the tribrach for leveling purposes.

I've done exactly this test comparing a large floor plan scan against known benchmarks and checking into them and I found no quantifiable difference between standard scans, High Tilt Scans, and standard scans using the Tribrach to manually level before scanning. Across the benchmarks, I never saw more than like 1/16" of deviation. And then beyond that, if you apply control, with or without HTA mode and the level status applied in register 360, it can still 3D transform your scans to match control points and potentially add error if you control points aren't perfect.

Leveling RTC scans before hand is only useful when you're not using any control, but again, Reg360 couldn't override the IMU data to the point you'd need if using a tribrach... I can't speak to Core though if that's a possibility or not. Just my 2 cents and why we never use tribrachs with the RTC scanner though.

Unless you're just doing this to reuse other tripods you have at your disposal, at which point just ignore the above :lol: I'd figure out an adapter solution as well, :D
Thanks for the reply, great explanation. In short, I don't trust the HTA when we're using the scan for flatness/levelness of large slabs, and we usually don't use controls (for a number of reasons), but I didn't considered that turning the HTA off would not have been enough to have Register 360 disregard any software-made tilt adjustments and only rely on the tribrach. Anyway, we've experienced tilt issues in the past, this was the main reason to get a tribrach
fpensa
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by fpensa »

Justin Richards wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:16 pm Thats the wrong thread pitch,

This is what we used...

1562865811_554328.jpg
Thanks for the reply, I missed your message at first :D

So, the bottom is fine threaded 3/8 female, and the top is coarse threaded 5/8 male? I cannot find the information on the threads in the specs
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech

Post by Justin Richards »

fpensa wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:25 pm
Thanks for the reply, I missed your message at first :D

So, the bottom is fine threaded 3/8 female, and the top is coarse threaded 5/8 male? I cannot find the information on the threads in the specs
3/8"-16 thread.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”