V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

RTC 360 Flash Drive Coming Apart

Post by Kruse »

Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue recently, but we've had our second RTC 360 flash drive come out of the housing under normal use. We're aren't abusing them or anything, but the glue used to assemble them is failing. It's an easy fix, but rather annoying in case someone were to accidentally glue it back in backwards and permanently destroy one as they only fit in the scanner body one direction.

Leica Reps that are on this forum, I'd suggest you look into this as it doesn't quite fit the description of "INDUSTRIAL GRADE" etched on the flash drive body. :lol: For a ~$1,000 USD flashdrive, that's not a good look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RTC 360 Flash Drive Coming Apart

Post by Scott.Warren »

We purchased one of our RTC360's within the last few months and had an identical issue. One of the two usb's came apart on the first use, had no issue with the other 3 Leica USB drives in our growing collection.

Our Sales/Service folks with REAL.I.T sent us a new one while we sent the broken one back, quickly resolved where ours is still a fresh unit.

Seems like a glue issue? it'll still work without the USB housing but it's super sketchy/flimsy without it.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

Scott.Warren wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:53 pm We purchased one of our RTC360's within the last few months and had an identical issue. One of the two usb's came apart on the first use, had no issue with the other 3 Leica USB drives in our growing collection.

Our Sales/Service folks with REAL.I.T sent us a new one while we sent the broken one back, quickly resolved where ours is still a fresh unit.

Seems like a glue issue? it'll still work without the USB housing but it's super sketchy/flimsy without it.
Yeah, it's just the glue that bonds the flash drive to the metal body. Easy fix, but just annoying. Flash drive still works perfectly fine.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Industrial grade from Alibaba :lol:

Ridiculous to not be able to use a 20€ stick.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
JFlammVDC
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Jason Flamm
Company Details: PARIC Corporation
Company Position Title: VDC Survey Manager

Post by JFlammVDC »

Wow, interesting. We've got a couple with our RTC but haven't had any issues yet. We'll have to keep a close eye on them. Were you in any hot environments or anything like that?
PLS MO, AR, MS
Part 107 UAS Pilot
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

JFlammVDC wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:55 pm Wow, interesting. We've got a couple with our RTC but haven't had any issues yet. We'll have to keep a close eye on them. Were you in any hot environments or anything like that?
Yeah, we use the scanners almost daily in a wide varitety of applications from indoor to outdoor where temps are as low as -15F to over 140F in industrial applications. It's just how they were assembled in the metal bodies that the glue eventually fails. The first one failed after about 2 years of use and this latest one failed after 2.5 years. Both still work, but just needed a little more CA glue to secure them back in. Out of 26 of these flash drives, 2 have had the same issue.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

Kruse wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 pmjust needed a little more CA glue to secure them back in.
For what those drives cost I'd still send it back and make them send me a new one. The memory chips in those sticks will wear out eventually so might as well get an entirely new stick out of the deal. Besides, what are the odds your scanner gets flagged for use of a "Modified memory stick" if you ever run in to a warranty issue for something else down the road and they discover you reglued the memory stick yourself?
Kruse wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 pmOut of 26 of these flash drives, 2 have had the same issue.
Ouch, that's pretty bad.
Jed
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

I have dropped the PM team for RTC360 a link to this post to look into this.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

jedfrechette wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:18 pm
Kruse wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 pmjust needed a little more CA glue to secure them back in.
For what those drives cost I'd still send it back and make them send me a new one. The memory chips in those sticks will wear out eventually so might as well get an entirely new stick out of the deal. Besides, what are the odds your scanner gets flagged for use of a "Modified memory stick" if you ever run in to a warranty issue for something else down the road and they discover you reglued the memory stick yourself?
Kruse wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 pmOut of 26 of these flash drives, 2 have had the same issue.
Ouch, that's pretty bad.
Yep and when you use a NON_LEICA brand stick or MicroSD in their collectors- it senses it and spits a warning "Using a non-LeicSD" another warranty or SW issue escape clause I'm sure. I know- I used to sell this stuff. It really shouldn't matter, unless you are using in extreme environments like some of you are. The Industrial ones are tested at those environmental levels- .... obviously for multiple runs to verify they perform--how many?? NOT 2 years worth...or 2-5 years of wear and tear and pulling in and out of a scanner.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

These are from Kioxia...
They only sell 20-70$ usb sticks
that 1k$ price tag is ridiculous.
One of the many reasons why we have moved on from anything leica. We now favour Trimble Reigl and Faro... Leica is just greedy.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”