I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Russell Lowry
Company Details: Bi-Con Engineering
Company Position Title: CAD Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Air Travel with RTC 360

Post by Rlowry »

Has anyone had to fly commercial with an RTC 360? Can you carry-on the bag and tripod? do you have to take the scanner out going through security? the thought of the scanner bouncing around on the rollers gives me chills.
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Re: Air Travel with RTC 360

Post by geomontgomery »

Hey Russ,

Never had a problem flying commercial with the scanner & tripod in the bag as carryon. You can store it overhead or below the seat in front of you, depending on the size of your flight.

Never took the scanner out of the bag through security. I've heard of others who were questioned through security and they just told TSA it was a camera.
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by JNally »

I was told to keep the batteries in a seperate bag once. Never had a problem since.
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Justin Richards »

I usually take the Faro scanners when traveling and they would flag them sometimes but I explain to TSA that it's expensive and fragile and guide them how to inspect it. I never had any issues. I take the carbon fiber tripod in checked bag and the bigger ones get shipped UPS. The batteries are fine, I've taken much bigger through TSA and checked bags no problem.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

Similar experiences here. Tripods go in a hard case as checked luggage and scanner heads are carried on. I'd say 10-20% of the time TSA will want to inspect the scanner case but it's never been a big deal. Often they'll just open the case and swab what's visible without removing the scanner head from the foam.

The biggest thing is to keep ALL of your batteries with you in your carry on. Li-Ion batteries in checked luggage on a passenger plane is a big no-no.
Jed
masterpine
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Roy Candler
Company Details: Delonix Solutions
Company Position Title: Senior Reality Capture Technician

Post by masterpine »

I fly very regularly with the RTC360, it's very nice being able to take everything carry-on and not worry about baggage handlers dusting/destroying the equipment.

One additional note is that the backpack, RTC360, a tablet and batteries comes in at about 12kg (26lbs). This is under the weight limits for most normal commercial flights but is well over the carry-on limits for small aircraft if you are travelling to regional/remote areas like mine sites. I've had very good success calling ahead and making sure your ticket flags the increased weight of carry-on and approves it, every now and then it becomes a drama during check-in.

I use the Nedo Carbonline tripods and those can be slipped into my normal checked bags. The Leica carbon tripod can also fit most luggage. 90% of the time the RTC360 will get flagged for inspection during x-ray because that thing straight up looks like a bomb :D .
brucewhitesterling
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Bruce White
Company Details: Sterling Systems
Company Position Title: President

Post by brucewhitesterling »

Same here. Travel all the time no problem carrying on nor with TSA. Like others have said, "it's a 360 degree camera"
AntonioGomes
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: António Gomes
Company Details: BuildGest
Company Position Title: BuildGest

Post by AntonioGomes »

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have experience flying the RTC 360 or even a Leica TS13 to the African continent in this case Angola?
Can you tell me what is the smartest way to transport this type of equipment? I am having some problems because of the batteries, I need to take extra batteries and I don't know how to do it....
Do you usually have any problems with the tax authority?

Thank you very much for your help
daveschaff
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dave Schaff
Company Details: APEX 3D Scanning Solutions
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by daveschaff »

Do any of you ever check your RTC360 hard case? I have traveled many times with the hard case as a carry-on and with the backpack as a carry-on, with no issues. I am curious what travel set up most of you are using as the backpack and the hardcase become heavy pretty quickly!
Justin Richards
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: JUSTIN RICHARDS
Company Details: Tribrach Solutions
Company Position Title: Survey Tech
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Justin Richards »

daveschaff wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:24 pm Do any of you ever check your RTC360 hard case? I have traveled many times with the hard case as a carry-on and with the backpack as a carry-on, with no issues. I am curious what travel set up most of you are using as the backpack and the hardcase become heavy pretty quickly!
I would use the backpack so it can be stored under the seat and no worries about having to check it.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”