I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tommy Dang
Company Details: Webuild
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Leica P Series Scanner External Camera Options

Post by tommehhs »

Hi all

What external camera's are available for the P series scanners? Wondered if there are any alternatives to the NCTech ISTAR

https://www.nctechimaging.com/downloads ... -iSTAR.pdf

My local Leica distributor CR Kennedy no longer supply and support the NCTech ISTARs which was my preferred option because of its integration into cyclone core and the fast image acquisition

They recommended the nodal ninja which looks interesting but seems slower and more prone to operator error

I'd be using this in a TBM segment tunnel with cross passages under construction with mostly one way traffic. So speed is a priority. Purpose of the RGB would be for visualisation and assist in asset mapping
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Re: Leica P Series Scanner External Camera Options

Post by Scott.Warren »

If your desperate for speed in the field, you could make a bracket for a 360 camera like a Ricoh V/z1.

The processing would take more time, where you need to align the images to each scan. I believe Cyclone has a batch way of doing this(?).

a decent 360 camera would take 1-2 seconds for the image, but won't be as high quality as a Nodal ninja.

You'd also have to make sure the camera is as close to the relative center of the rotating mirror as possible, just like the nodal and iStar do. might need to 3D print/manufacture a bracket to fit onto the tribach.

Food for thought.
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by JNally »

I have taken thousands of photos with a Nodal Ninja on a P40. Its quite straight forward and using PTGUI then importing into Cyclone results were consistent and very good. Just check your tilt angle every 5th setup and you will be fine.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

JNally wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:29 am I have taken thousands of photos with a Nodal Ninja on a P40. Its quite straight forward and using PTGUI then importing into Cyclone results were consistent and very good. Just check your tilt angle every 5th setup and you will be fine.
What camera and lens did you use? Can you share your set up with some fotos? I found that the time needed to put the bracket and then convert fotos with ptgui is more than take the fotos with internal camera.
JNally
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Joe Nally
Company Details: EPS
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by JNally »

I don’t have any photos to hand of that.

This link is the Leica workflow on it, it explains the settings as well.

https://www.red-door.co.uk/pdfs/Manual- ... -ninja.pdf

Once set up you would take 6 photos (1 every 60degrees) and then import them all into ptgui and batch process them. I have settings on my work computer which I can share when I’m back in the office. Typically would take you about 1 minute once scan completed to put the camera up and take the photos.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”