I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Francesco Mazzoli
Company Details: Benaco Ltd
Company Position Title: Founder
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone REGISTER panorama exports looking like point cloud renderings

Post by benaco »

Hi,

when exporting RTC360 data to E57, the images contained within contain photo-to-laser-parallax effects like the following:

Similarly, consider a hanging power cable that is cut off repeatedly mid-air:

Clearly, some "project of the RGB camera onto the point cloud, and back-projection into an RGB image is going on".

Also clearly, the RTC360 did not see the RGB data like this, but saw a normal image with its multiple cameras.

Is it possible to avoid this, exporting only a cleanly-stitched panorama photo (via the cubemap images contained in the E57 export, or otherwise)?

I am aware that there will be some parallax since the RTC turns around the nodal point of the laser, and not the nodal points of its RGB cameras; but any pano stitching software like PTGui can create visually more pleasing output than what I've shown above, so I'm wondering if there's a way to get this with Cyclone Register / the Leica ecosystem.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Cyclone REGISTER panorama exports looking like point cloud renderings

Post by badam »

it is not point cloud rendering those are images, but because leica overprocess the images there are lot of filters on the images which does not work well with sharp edges and of course the hdr processing also come in play....

i would like to see the original images taken from the cameras, but leica will not allow this and will not gives api for the raw data...
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

When you imported to the project did you go yo your settings before importing and set the import to be 5k. By default R360 only imports at 2k and this can not be simply changed after. If you want the highest quality you need set to a 5k import before bringing in the raw scans.

With Publisher Pro you are able to export really nice Pano Images with all the Raw image information. But this is not via e57 this is via P pro.

Also if you have P Pro you'll be able to write out the LGS file at 5k and then distribute the LGS as a standalone product where people can also export images from the JetStrem portable viewer application.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 pm When you imported to the project did you go yo your settings before importing and set the import to be 5k. By default R360 only imports at 2k and this can not be simply changed after. If you want the highest quality you need set to a 5k import before bringing in the raw scans.

With Publisher Pro you are able to export really nice Pano Images with all the Raw image information. But this is not via e57 this is via P pro.

Also if you have P Pro you'll be able to write out the LGS file at 5k and then distribute the LGS as a standalone product where people can also export images from the JetStrem portable viewer application.

the publisher pro export the same images, only difference is that you can export the hdr images as well in exr format... these issues can be seen in the reg360 as well... And also in the project dat* files. the original raw images are only kept in the raw rtc360 data.

i wouldn't use 5120 images, because it is not supporte size in a texture rendering so it will just gets resized to the closest power of two which is 4096. And also it will be slower to import those.
benaco
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Francesco Mazzoli
Company Details: Benaco Ltd
Company Position Title: Founder

Post by benaco »

RJGEOMATICS wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 pm When you imported to the project did you go yo your settings before importing and set the import to be 5k.
Yes, we always instruct to do that, as Benaco allows to show the full image resolution.
RJGEOMATICS wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 pm With Publisher Pro you are able to export really nice Pano Images with all the Raw image information. But this is not via e57 this is via P pro.
Do you know if the Publisher Pro export via the context menu will be better regarding these parallax effects?

Thanks!
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by badam »

benaco wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:15 pm
RJGEOMATICS wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 pm When you imported to the project did you go yo your settings before importing and set the import to be 5k.
Yes, we always instruct to do that, as Benaco allows to show the full image resolution.
RJGEOMATICS wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:03 pm With Publisher Pro you are able to export really nice Pano Images with all the Raw image information. But this is not via e57 this is via P pro.
Do you know if the Publisher Pro export via the context menu will be better regarding these parallax effects?

Thanks!
As i said earlier these issues can be seen in reg360. So it won't be better if you export them from the context menu. these are more likely to be image filtering issues during reg360 import.
daniel.jansson
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Daniel Jansson
Company Details: Teodoliten Mätteknik AB
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Consultant

Post by daniel.jansson »

I think badam is correct, the images are what it is and at least they won't be better than how it looks in r360 imported in 5k. Even though I agree with that importing above 4k is not worth it. But for the majority, I don't think that they are point cloud renderings. You can see this when you have cars or people going past the photo capture but aren't in the point cloud, they still end up in the images.

What I think has happened in the door frame is because of the parallax. Of course the panorama can be better stitched in other software, but those software can't solve the parallax of the camera since we are looking from a different position as you say. Since the scan sees some parts that the camera won't. What other software might do better is fill in the gaps more accurately though since Cyclones at best smears the closest colors to fill the holes. Maybe there are some point cloud projection in these areas as well, and then I would actually like more of it. Since I think you could at least make it look nicer than smearing the colors.

Regarding the cable, I think that either it has moved or since the camera probably has captured both the cable and what's behind it because of the parallax, the filtering in the stitching can't then decide which part to keep at each sector.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”