I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: philipp
Company Details: scanntec
Company Position Title: projekt engineur
Linkedin Profile: No

Call up a Thermal Information from 3D PointCloud

Post by philipp_sy »

Hello Everyone,

we have scanned with a ZF Imager 5016 and an external thermal imaging camera, the problem now is that I cannot pick a temperature from the 3D pointcloud in LaserControl neither in Recap.

is this possible, if i import the data into cyclone as zfs or e57?

in the photo u see the 2D Bubble view from Laser Control, i want this information in 3D Point Cloud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Call up a Thermal Information from 3D PointCloud

Post by smacl »

philipp_sy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:15 pm Hello Everyone,

we have scanned with a ZF Imager 5016 and an external thermal imaging camera, the problem now is that I cannot pick a temperature from the 3D pointcloud in LaserControl neither in Recap.

is this possible, if i import the data into cyclone as zfs or e57?

in the photo u see the 2D Bubble view from Laser Control, i want this information in 3D Point Cloud.
At a guess, you'd need to colorize your point cloud based on the thermal images prior to export. Not sure about the ZFS format, but most open formats may either not have fields for extra per point attributes such as temperature or those fields may not typically be imported by other software,
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by jcoco3 »

Yep, exactly what Shane said. We had similar issue with the ZF T-cam data going from Laser Control to Faro Scene or Microstation. While Laser Control was made to handle the extra data field simultaneously, no other software other software that I know of can read it without creating a second copy of the data where the Thermal Images have been substituted for the color images during colorization of the point cloud. In our case we had to create two separate Faro Webshares(one visible color, and the other Thermal Color), and two .pod files for Microstation in the same scheme.

Speaking from some experience with the T-Cam if you are trying to perform an accurate analysis of the thermal information you will be much better off sticking with Laser Control for that portion of the work so you have full access to the thermal level and range controls. Also, once you leave laser control you will no longer be able to sample temperature directly and there will also be no automatically generated legend to correlate temperature to the thermal color ramp. I have even found that the color is sometimes modified/adjusted going from one program to another so even if you created screen shots of the legends to use with the exported data they may not correlate exactly. All of this may push your analysis a little further from quantitative and more towards qualitative, which may be fine for you needs if all you need to know is what it hot vs cold in a generalized way.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Scott.Warren »

Checking the thermal image for temp works in the LGS format, exported from cyclone, and through the various hosting services (Truview/Jetstream).

This works with the Leica BLK360 scanner in Cyclone, I have not tried a T-CAM with our Z+F to see if the workflow/functions are the same.

I don't think I've seen thermal images which can be queried within Recap for the temp value at a location/click, only viewed as a color band/image.

I would like to know if this is possible as well!
philipp_sy
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: philipp
Company Details: scanntec
Company Position Title: projekt engineur

Post by philipp_sy »

thanks to you a lot guys Shane, Jonathan and Scott , your tips is really helpfull !
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

I would also like to be able to export my BLK360 data with the Cloud clipped the IR window and the IR values assigned to the points, instead of colors. There is so much power packed into the little BLK360, just need a way to bring them all out. Currently sharing the LGS file with the portable version of JetStream Viewer seems to satisfy most. But if we could have a PTS export clipped to the IR band scan area, and then colorize the points according to the IR values, that would simply put the BLK360 onto another level above every other scanner out there, with a truly unique offering. Perhaps Guy and the team in San Ramone can kindly write this into the next release of R360 or LGS Publisher... Actually lets say LGS Publisher, because as a company Leica does need make their pennies. And as a business I like the fact that have a Publisher License differentiates us from the rest trying to skate by without Publisher. Got to Pay to Play folks.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”