LEICA BLK360 & Windows Laptop Specs

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
smartscanz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Attila
Company Details: SmartScanz
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

LEICA BLK360 & Windows Laptop Specs

Post by smartscanz »

Hey guys,

Any help would be appreciated.
Do I need to upgrade the specs on my laptop? If so what do I need to upgrade?

I am new to the world of Laser Scanning, Laser Scanners, etc..... Just recently picked up a pre-owned BLK360 and trying to learn the ins and outs. I have a feeling that I have long ways to go.
I am currently using the following laptop.

IBM Lenovo P1 G2 (Type 20QT, 20QU)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9850H CPU @2.60GHz 2.59GHz
Installed Ram 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System Type 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor
Windows 10 Pro

I have downloaded the 15 day Trial version of "Cyclone Register 360 BLK Edition". So far so good.
Next I navigated over to Youtube and downloaded the 360 BLK Scans tutorial for "Stewart House" and saved them to my laptop.
I follow the instructions as per Andy Fontana and the moment I transfer the 5.7GB scans into Cyclone Register 360 BLK my "CPU status shoots up to 100%
The fan(s) on my laptop go into overdrive and become excessively loud. Next the bottom of my laptop gets extremely hot.
It starts importing the scans from the File Folder over into Cyclone Register 360 BLK Edition. The progress goes to "Begin Importing Setup 6 of 24 and then it crashes and closes out the program.
I rebooted my laptop and after the 8th attempt I managed to transfer the 24 scans from the Stewart House File.l

Has anyone else come across this issues? Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A.
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: LEICA BLK360 & Windows Laptop Specs

Post by Carbix »

Don’t expect your laptop to live long working on point clouds. You need a system with a dedicated video video card. Aim for something with 8gb of video Ram. Work off of SSD Drives and faster CPU cores over many cores.

Expect your computer to cost a 1/4 of your scanner.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
smartscanz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by smartscanz »

Hey Daniel,

Thank you for the heads up. I guess in the meantime I'll try to max out the specs on my laptop as my budget is limited. But as I progress with my knowledge in scans with the BLK 360 and start picking up some work I will definitely switch over to a better and more powerful system.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

IMO a laptop is a must. I sleep in hotels 100+ night a year on the road surveying and you need a laptop. I feel your laptop is ok for a blk scanner. However I would look into investing on a good pc instead of upgrading your laptop. Having 2 or more computers also helps with poincloud processing so your laptop is a keeper. Also imo if you only do pointcloud gpu is not the limiting factor, cpu will cap out much faster than your off the counter gpu can create 60fps. An expensive gpu is important only if you deal with photogrammetry imo. I would focus on ssd, cpu and ram before gpu.
smartscanz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by smartscanz »

Hey Leandre,
I'll do some pricing comparisons in the meantime and see what it would cost to upgrade the RAM and upgrade the SSD. But I think it might be cheaper than investing in a desktop system. Most of my projects that I plan on targeting is creating digital twins of homes. The interiors as well as the exterior of it.
I just know when I tried to process 5.7GB of scans that Andy Fontana made available to be imported into Cyclone Register 360 BLK edition it crashed on several occasions. After numerous attempts, rebooting my laptop it finally allowed me to import the scans. Even after that when I tried to watch the Youtube vide and play around with the scans my CPU usage would go through the roof within seconds. I could of probably fried an egg on the bottom of my laptop as it got extremely hot.
But greatly appreciate your input and help.

Are you using the BLK 360?
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Carbix »

I would look for a 2-3 year older Asus laptop with a GTX 1070 in it.

I know this because I used that setup with our first BLK. It works.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

smartscanz wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:12 am Hey Leandre,
I'll do some pricing comparisons in the meantime and see what it would cost to upgrade the RAM and upgrade the SSD. But I think it might be cheaper than investing in a desktop system. Most of my projects that I plan on targeting is creating digital twins of homes. The interiors as well as the exterior of it.
I just know when I tried to process 5.7GB of scans that Andy Fontana made available to be imported into Cyclone Register 360 BLK edition it crashed on several occasions. After numerous attempts, rebooting my laptop it finally allowed me to import the scans. Even after that when I tried to watch the Youtube vide and play around with the scans my CPU usage would go through the roof within seconds. I could of probably fried an egg on the bottom of my laptop as it got extremely hot.
But greatly appreciate your input and help.

Are you using the BLK 360?
I don't know Cyclone Register 360 at all, but even if your laptop does not have the required minimum specs for the software, I wouldn't expect it to crash, but rather that you need longer to process your data.
The question is why is it crashing?
Just a gut feeling, but try to check what your RAM / virtual memory and windows are doing. It is possible, that your remaining disk space on C: is running out, because windows needs to outsorce so much RAM into the hard drive.

But again, I don't know the limiting factors of that software at all.
smartscanz
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by smartscanz »

The laptop has been formatted, reset to factory. So the only Software on it is the Cyclone Register BLK 360 Edition. I guess i need to bump up my specs for the RAM from 16GB to 64GB.
I guess it's not cheap getting into the field of laser scanning, lol.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”