Can I use other 360 Cameras to colorize P16 Scanstation point cloud?

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Can I use other 360 Cameras to colorize P16 Scanstation point cloud?

Post by steves01x »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:47 am
steves01x wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:10 pm The iStar works "perfect" with P40 and Cyclone core.... far, far quicker than hanging around for the scanner to take the images.

But if you want quality look at the Nodal Ninja or LizardQ that use a DSLR.

One thing, when importing the images to Cyclone Core (or it was the case last time) make sure they are all in their own individual folder!
I used an istar with my tx5 before. For coloring pointclouds it worked well but i also used it for other purposes and it lacked quality. Scene had good batch processing tools for the istar, don't know about Leica.
Other systems may produce better results but take long so no gain here.
Yeah the iStar had a lot of potential for a 360 camera if it took better & higher quality photos.

Cyclone Core was pretty smooth - once you had all your 360 photos processed in the Ntech software, i ran an app that put them all in to their own folder based on the file name and then imported to Cyclone with some manual dragging to line them up against the scan. Couldn't really fault it!
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Ιf someone could help us to find easily and accurate the nodal point of any lens I would be grateful.
Phill
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phillip Nixon
Company Details: SKM
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Phill »

Ionannis

We find the nodal point by setting up the total station and looking straight down into the camera lens from about 10m away. On a DSLR you will see a little bit of light comming through in the middle of the lens. Rotate the nodal ninja back and forth and if this little piece of light moves you need to adjust it back or forward until it doesn't move when you rotate. Its been 10 years since Ive done one, you generally set and forget- but I am pretty sure that was the technique.

Dont trust any sets of numbers people give you, just make sure. I learnt that the hard way after 200 scans were rubbish.

Cheers

Phill
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by MajorDomo »

Ioannis wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:24 am Ιf someone could help us to find easily and accurate the nodal point of any lens I would be grateful.
If it's a fisheye lens it has multiple nodal points that are hopefully at least in line. They are harder and its always a case of compromising .

For all other spherical lenses just use parallax.
Set your lens to be hyperfocal. There are handy calculators online for this. Then tape that lens so that it can not be focused anymore by accident.

Set your nodal head. And put something as close to camera as possible, but still sharp, this is the parallax pole.
There should be some texture background far from the camera and the parallax pole you set up.
Set your camera to live view. Rotate the nodal head right and left. Move the camera backwards or forwards until there is little to no visible background shifting behind the parallax pole.
One you are done with the live view,take photos, zoom in and do some micro adjustments.

If you change zoom or focus, you redo this.
Wide lenses are easier to get to be hyperfocal.
TimmyD
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tim Durham
Company Details: Midsouth Drone Services
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by TimmyD »

Ioannis wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:24 am Ιf someone could help us to find easily and accurate the nodal point of any lens I would be grateful.

youtu.be/ggM1sjcyJR8

https://youtu.be/ggM1sjcyJR8

Return to “Leica Geosystems”