First Laser Scanner - BLK360 the right one?

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
tjawed
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tarique Jawed
Company Details: Stony Creek Homes
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

First Laser Scanner - BLK360 the right one?

Post by tjawed »

We are considering getting the Leica BLK360 as our first scanner. We are a small residential construction company that does mostly inflill development in washington dc. Capturing existing conditions has proven to be a challenge hence the investment here. Our budget is 15-35K which is why the BLK seemed the most popular?

We have an in house architect and the full autocad suite with Recap and our output would be to Revit. Trying to understand:

1. What other software would be needed?
2. Besides camera what else is recommended for hardware - tripod, carrying case etc?
3. Can we also do topo surveys of small lots - under 15K sf.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Re: First Laser Scanner - BLK360 the right one?

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

tjawed wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:28 pm We are considering getting the Leica BLK360 as our first scanner. We are a small residential construction company that does mostly inflill development in washington dc. Capturing existing conditions has proven to be a challenge hence the investment here. Our budget is 15-35K which is why the BLK seemed the most popular?

We have an in house architect and the full autocad suite with Recap and our output would be to Revit. Trying to understand:

2. Besides camera what else is recommended for hardware - tripod, carrying case etc?
No Leica conaisseur but
1 i think reg software comes with the blk
2 gitzmo tripod, maybe a pelican with own foam cutouts
3 if you have targets and enough time to scan this could be possible. Mind you all that's not visible for the scanner is not scanned. Monuments etc still need a total station or gps.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
tjawed
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by tjawed »

Is there something you recommend if not Leica?
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Post by geomontgomery »

1. There's reg software specifically for the BLK https://shop.leica-geosystems.com/buy/p ... lk-edition
2. Gitzmo is what Leica rebrands and sells with their scanners, just go with them
3. Yeah, there's enough density under 15k sf for topos
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

tjawed wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:28 pm We are considering getting the Leica BLK360 as our first scanner. We are a small residential construction company that does mostly inflill development in washington dc. Capturing existing conditions has proven to be a challenge hence the investment here. Our budget is 15-35K which is why the BLK seemed the most popular?

We've used a Leica BLK360 For 3 years. It works well for even midsized topos. It will cost you a yearly subscription for the Reg 360 software. ROI on the software is about 4 years Yearly Subscription vs Outright purchase with CCP. I have a Jetstream Online Viewer if you'd like to see some projects done with it up on the web.
fobos8
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrew
Company Details: NDC Surveys
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by fobos8 »

gsisman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:15 am We've used a Leica BLK360 For 3 years. It works well for even midsized topos.
What topographical data are you collecting?
tjawed
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by tjawed »

Steve thanks so much for the generous offer. Yes that would be very helpful to see it on Jetstream. I sent you a Linkedin message as well.

Thanks
Tarique
gsisman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:15 am

We've used a Leica BLK360 For 3 years. It works well for even midsized topos. It will cost you a yearly subscription for the Reg 360 software. ROI on the software is about 4 years Yearly Subscription vs Outright purchase with CCP. I have a Jetstream Online Viewer if you'd like to see some projects done with it up on the web.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Is the BLK the right scanner for you? It's small, light and fast and the data quality is good. The onboard camera is decent and its great for fiddly areas and can scan inverted.

On the other hand, the data is not properly levelled. So if that matters, and it surely will at some point, then you need survey control. Download times are terrible as its wifi only and you wont get returns of wet or shiny surfaces. I recently tried to use it to scan an electricity tower and it was like the tower wasn't even there! (It was wet).

Personally, I'd rather use a second hand P20 with an external camera - or even a C10. But then those scanners aren't light!
tjawed
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by tjawed »

So if you budget was under 35K - would you go with a used Faro?
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

tjawed wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:46 pm So if you budget was under 35K - would you go with a used Faro?
It's a risk buying new or used ('one always pays') At least with a new scanner you will have a warranty for a while.

It takes time to learn the best practices for scanning, the quirks of software, and the fixes for unsatisfactory registration. I'd look for a 'low milage' scanner treated with care by the seller. It should have documentation--FARO should be able tell you the scanner's service history--every scanner has a serial number (the numbers are the same on the instrument, case, battery(s)--any part that came with the scanner when it was first purchased). It's not like turning on a light switch--expect a journey with peaks and valleys...

Return to “Leica Geosystems”