Cyclone - Matching laserscan with UAV

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
rewaUrban
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Franziska Urban
Company Details: rewa Planungsgesellschaft mbH
Company Position Title: Architect

Cyclone - Matching laserscan with UAV

Post by rewaUrban »

Hi,
I am quite new to cyclone, I only have used Register 360 before to process my point cloud data. So maybe I am not aware of all funtions of Cyclone.

My problem here:
I want to match my registered and leveled pointcloud from my BLK (processed trough register, then imported to cyclone) with my pointcloud made by UAV data in metasahape. I use the same targets for both pointclouds.
I tried to put both scanworlds together in a new registration, instantly freezing it, then create modelspace. That should work, as both scanworlds have coordinates.
Unfortunately, that only does the job in some projects, in others the two pointclouds are miles away from each other.
Visual alignment will hardly decrease the accuracy here.

Are there any suggestions please? Thanks in advance.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cyclone - Matching laserscan with UAV

Post by Scott.Warren »

Miles away, did you swap the X and Y between the two controls by accident?
I do that sometimes . . . :?
rewaUrban
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by rewaUrban »

Scott.Warren wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:58 pm Miles away, did you swap the X and Y between the two controls by accident?
I do that sometimes . . . :?
Thats what I double checked first, because that were my beginner fails as well, but the controls are in correct format :?
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

so with throwing your two datasets into Cyclone Register
-Make sure targets are named vertices in each dataset's Controlspace
-Make sure these target are named the same in both controlspaces
-if the control file has been imported into cyclone, throw that into the registration too, also having verticies names the same as above
-in the register window, use 'auto-add constraints - target ID only' and it will try and match targets that are named the same
- If it finds matching targets, and creates a matching pair (target constraint), it will give you a calculated residual error
- if you get this far, you will either see massive error, meaning something is wonky, or smaller errors showing the control is relatively good.
- this is assuming you only want to use the targets to align the two datasets, not using Cloud-to-cloud constraints
-This is a rough outline and not definitive instructions, your mileage may vary
rewaUrban
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by rewaUrban »

Scott.Warren wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:08 pm so with throwing your two datasets into Cyclone Register
-Make sure targets are named vertices in each dataset's Controlspace
-Make sure these target are named the same in both controlspaces
-if the control file has been imported into cyclone, throw that into the registration too, also having verticies names the same as above
-in the register window, use 'auto-add constraints - target ID only' and it will try and match targets that are named the same
- If it finds matching targets, and creates a matching pair (target constraint), it will give you a calculated residual error
- if you get this far, you will either see massive error, meaning something is wonky, or smaller errors showing the control is relatively good.
- this is assuming you only want to use the targets to align the two datasets, not using Cloud-to-cloud constraints
-This is a rough outline and not definitive instructions, your mileage may vary
At first, thank you for your reply!
As usual, the problem is in front of the computer :D
It seems that Cyclone has imported the vertices, but not the coordinates matching them. After reimporting the coordinates und matching them the TargetIDs, the UAV data will fit as well.

Unfortunately I can´t run the auto constraints with target IDs, as they were not exported seperately from metashape in the E57 file :|
TimmyD
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tim Durham
Company Details: Midsouth Drone Services
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by TimmyD »

@RewaUrban Hopefully I will be doing the same thing. I am a newbie as I am waiting on my used P16 scanner. Will your workflow be to bring UAV dataset into Cyclone instead or exporting the laserscan project out and bringing into something like Lidar360 or Global Mapper? Hoping you will share a bit about your workflow and reasoning to help me get a grasp on what will be best. Lots to learn! I only have purchased the Register360 permanent license. So I do not have any of the Cyclone software. But I already have Global Mapper Lidar and Lidar360 software. Thanks for any insight.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

TimmyD wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 pm @RewaUrban Hopefully I will be doing the same thing. I am a newbie as I am waiting on my used P16 scanner. Will your workflow be to bring UAV dataset into Cyclone instead or exporting the laserscan project out and bringing into something like Lidar360 or Global Mapper? Hoping you will share a bit about your workflow and reasoning to help me get a grasp on what will be best. Lots to learn! I only have purchased the Register360 permanent license. So I do not have any of the Cyclone software. But I already have Global Mapper Lidar and Lidar360 software. Thanks for any insight.
I don't think you will be able to import a UAV or mobile point cloud into Register 360-....only if it is from BLK2GO don't think it likes a unified pointcloud import, even in E57, unless they changed something in the new 2021.1.0 version out last week
TimmyD
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Tim Durham
Company Details: Midsouth Drone Services
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by TimmyD »

I was thinking that I would export my structure point clouds from Reg360 and bring them into Lidar360 or Global Mapper as that is where I would be using my aerial point clouds. I will certainly have a better handle on it once I get my equipment in the next 2 weeks or so. I will certainly post back after I have everything running smooth as to what works well for me.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”