PTS to Navisworks Size Limit?

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
danielmckague
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Daniel McKague
Company Details: Systems Group
Company Position Title: Piping Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

PTS to Navisworks Size Limit?

Post by danielmckague »

Hello all,
I have been seeing an issue that when we export a .pts from Cyclone and import that into Navisworks, the point cloud will be cut off at a certain point. This only happens on large scans so I assume Navisworks may be limited by the amount of points but can anyone confirm this? I have tried importing multiple times and exporting a new .pts and importing that but the same results each time. I have even had one that was getting cut when imported, but once I went into Cyclone and deleted some parts to cut the number of points down it imported perfectly to Navisworks with no parts getting cut out. Can anyone recommend some workarounds if Navisworks is actually limited on .pts imports?
I have currently been having to create a Recap file and using Navisworks to just view the recap file. However, the recap file export takes longer and can be hundred of GB's while having a single Navisworks file is usually 2-5 GB.

SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Attaya
Company Details: Geocent
Company Position Title: Sr. Software Analyst [RemoteSensingEngr]
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: PTS to Navisworks Size Limit?

Post by SAttaya »

google [biggest fat32 file size]

get:
Files larger than 4GB can NOT be stored on a FAT32 volume.
Formatting the flash drive as exFAT or NTFS will resolve this issue.
WARNING: Backup your data. Formatting will delete all the data in your device.
Oct 19, 2008

maybe you're using a external drive formatted FAT32, not NTFS (nor exFAT)

danielmckague
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Daniel McKague
Company Details: Systems Group
Company Position Title: Piping Designer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by danielmckague »

All files are always on local storage, 2 TB SSD's formatted NTFS.

mstachoni
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Matt Stachoni
Company Details: Tutor Perini Corporation
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by mstachoni »

FYI, a Navisworks file of 1-2GB is HUGE.

Navisworks produces two file types: NWF and NWD. NWF is the Navisworks Working File and the NWD is the published files. NWF files work on a referential system; that is, geometry and point cloud files are referenced into the NWF and not embedded, so the NWFs are quite small (they contain additional Navisworks-centric info like clash tests, viewpoints, search sets, etc.).

If you Publish to NWD, it will embed all of the geometry and point clouds, so the file size gets larger (1-2GB is still really big). Point clouds get embedded so that blows up the file size accordingly. However, if you use ReCap files, the Publish dialog provides an option to not embed the cloud, but to just keep it as a reference. That keeps file size low but you need to transfer the point cloud along with the NWD for someone else to see it all.

In terms of visibility, each supported file type has its own set of options (go to Options > File Readers). ReCap files have tons of options for maximum interactive points, cloud density, interactive point size, and so on. However there are no settings for PTS so I'm not sure what would control them.
- Matt

Return to “Leica Geosystems”